When to neuter

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by RiggsBerner, Jan 8, 2009.

1. RiggsBerner

RiggsBerner New Member

I have a 8 week old male. Our breeder said to wait a year and a half to neuter him. Our vet said we should have him neutered between 6 and 9 months. Does anyone have an opinion on this. The breeder says it will help him develop ie, larger head, fuller chest. Vet says her will develop just fine.
    Does anyone have and opinion on this?

2. Quinn

Quinn New Member

This was a debate my husband and I had. He wanted to neuter him later 1 1/2 years and I thought the standard 6 months. We spoke to our vet who is also a friend. Most vets will tell you the standard 6-8 months (we had many vets tell us this - perhaps unwanted litters) If you can wait to neuter later your dog will develop a larger, fuller head/chest. It's the testosterone in their system. We had 2 Rotties before and because of the shorter hair, their head and muscles are more prominent then the fluffy Bernese. (something to keep in mind)We never took our dogs to a dog park (we live in the country). So if you do have an intact male, you should not take him to a dog park. We waited 16 months to neuter our 2 males. We agreed if they showed any agression the were off to the vets. Our dogs did not show any - they were great. Hope this helps.

Maureen

3. hwhite84

hwhite84 New Member

I agree Maureen... if they aren't misbehaving due to increased hormone levels then why rush? We are getting ours neutered at about 8 or 9 months..... We found that many breeders said different things, some said they'd be bigger if you waited, others said they didn't notice a difference at all.... we keep a pretty close eye on our boy anyways and so we won't have any trouble keeping him out of "michief" with females. ;)