What brushes/combs to get for a Berner?

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by Bill Brasski, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Bill Brasski

Bill Brasski New Member

Hi everybody. We are getting our first Berner in January and I was just wondering what types of brushes you guys recommend for their grooming. From what I've read I've learned that the furminator works really well for removing loose hair but should only be used a few times a year when the shedding is excessive and not as a daily grooming comb/brush because it could damage the coat.

We have never had a long haired large breed so I am not sure what I need as far as grooming supplies. thanks for any input.

2. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

We SWEAR by the furminator!!! We have every brush and comb you can buy, but they dint even compare. Normally we don't use it everyday. Maybe once every couple of months. But when he "blows " his coat we will use it for a week or so every day.

I had never heard that it was bad for the coat to use it too often until someone posted it on the web site. But when he is really shedding there is nothing that helps like the furminator does. You will really be amazed. It is just like the commercial! ( I should be in the ad ) :)

3. sa1821

sa1821 New Member

We use a rake and the furminator....first the rake to get our major fur and then the furminator very gently and not a lot. We've had no problems with either!