Warts

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by AnnetteG, Jul 26, 2012.

1. AnnetteG

AnnetteG New Member

Ugh! My beautiful baby (9mos) has several canine papillomas on the side of her lips. I believe she picked up the virus at daycare. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue. My vet said they would likely go away on their own in a few months. It has only been one month and I just want them gone! Moca doesn't seemed bothered by them at all, but I can't stand them. :(

2. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

Oh no,,,poor baby ! I have "heard" that L-lysine helps?? But I have never had any experience with it, so I would google it and also check with your vet. Keep us posted though. I am sure you are not the only one to have this happen and need some advise. Good luck

3. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

These will go away within 2 months or so..often earlier. The key is to boost the immune system during this virus so give vitamin c to bowel tolerance and apply tea tree oil to the warts (lightly dab as the odor will be offensive to the dog).

Rachel

4. AnnetteG

AnnetteG New Member

Thank you!

Thank you for your input. I just picked up l-lysine from my vet. I'll have to try the tea tree oil too...I'll let everyone know how things go.

5. AnnetteG

AnnetteG New Member

Warts update

The L-lysine from the vet worked like magic to get rid of the warts!

6. CodyBear

CodyBear New Member

Toe pad warts =(

I'm so glad I found your post, and I'm so happy that your puppy's warts have gone away!!!

Cody recently came up with a rounded sore/nodule between his toe pads that they accidentally clipped at the groomers, causing it to swell into a full blown huge wart-like growth in between his small and middle toe on his right hind leg. We let him lick it a bit and it seemed to be getting better, but then he started limping on the leg, so I took him to the vet. The vet wasn't totally sure about what it was exactly, so he wanted to treat it conservatively, and gave us antibiotics, as well as wrapping the foot for a couple days. We just took the bandage off today, and it still looks pretty nasty =( He's walking on it okay, but it's inflamed and bloody.

I'm hoping the antibiotics will keep it from turning into an infection and that it will just go away on its own, but I've never had a dog get this kind of thing before. We had to board him for a week back in August, and I think that's where he picked it up.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing on the toes? Is it common to have it removed, or just let it be? I'm wondering if the l-lysine would work in this case as well.

Thanks for any input!

Jen & Cody

7. JBeaner

JBeaner New Member

Hi Annette,

Yep, Truman also had a canine papilloma on the side of his lip and it certainly didn't add to his natural good looks :) They will go away as with any virus and it is also believed that Truman acquired his lovely wart from daycare. Tru wasn't bothered by it (it was quite large), but rest assurred, they will go away. Truman hasn't had any since (thank God)!

Best,
    Jill