Walking

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Training Forum' started by puppytalk, Jan 1, 2016.

1. puppytalk

puppytalk New Member

Koda is 11 weeks, we have a good harness and leesh for walking but he still isn't very good on a leesh. Any advice to get him walking better?
    He often sits and won't move and I often end up carrying him home as I don't want to drag him.
    When did your pup start going bit of a distance on a leesh?

2. apage104

apage104 New Member

We have an 11 week old Bernese as well and I am having the exact same issue. She refuses to walk with a leash. I am guessing this must be typical behavior for this age pup, but I too would love to hear what others have to say. Thanks

3. puppytalk

puppytalk New Member

We are in Alberta Canada, I hope to meet some local bmd owners.
    Koda did a bit better today with treats to get him moving.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  4. LuvmyBerner

LuvmyBerner New Member

Hi..I would just keep trying. Do little walks multiple times a day...even if it is just around the backyard. Lots of praise and treats. It can be hard because if your pup is sitting because they are tired..you don't want to push them...but if it has become a behaviour..you don't want to reinforce it either. We our girl would sit down..I would just pull up a piece of grass beside her and let her rest for a few minutes then carry on. a little harder now with the weather (I Live in central Alberta). Good luck!

5. puppytalk

puppytalk New Member

Thank you!
    We are in central Alberta as well (Stettler)

6. LuvmyBerner

LuvmyBerner New Member

Great area..did you get Koda locally? We are less than an hour away.

7. puppytalk

puppytalk New Member

We got him from a breeder between red deer and sylvan. ( jersey acres)
    What about you?

8. LuvmyBerner

LuvmyBerner New Member

Yes...we got our pup locally as well..by Red Deer. I have not heard anything about Jersey Acres..have they been around/breeding long?