VERY early riser?

Discussion in 'First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions' started by Gingerbaby, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Gingerbaby

Gingerbaby New Member

Help! Our almost seven month old Berner wakes up each and every day between 5:15 and 6 am without fail. We have been ignoring him until 6:15 each morning and then letting him out, feeding, walking etc.

Any ideas how to get him to sleep longer in the mornings?

2. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Thisbis what I would do and have already done in the past.
    First off I would put my alarm 15 mins before he usually wakes up so he learns that YOU decide when to wake up. Do that about a week making sure YOU wake him up. After a week I would waKe up a little later and a little later etc... In addition I would definaltely wait until an hour an hour and a half to feed and walk etc.... I would show him that its very very very boring to wake up. I would wait like you do let him out and not even acknowledge him. No talking nothing. It will take time but be consistant. Weekends included:(
    It WILL pay off down thw line.
    That is what I would do.

ClanTalley likes this.
  3. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Sierra during the summer months would wake up right at 5:00am just like clock work. That is when the morning sunshine would light up our room. Now that it stays dark longer she wakes up at 5:30am. We figure when it stays darker around 6:00am she will stay asleep tell 6:00am. Then the process will start all over again.