Trimmimg between toes

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by Klexi, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Hey,
    Anyone trim between toes? I heard we must trim there. Anyways any tips on actually trimming because all I can do now is is hold her paw and make believe I am cutting. She is only 5 1/2
    Months and I am still working on holding her feet she hates it. My husband does the nails while I keep her calm but will I eventually be able to trimm because I feel ling of silly right now playing make believe lol
    She moves too much when I take her paw.

2. Cleo

Cleo Guest

You are doing great... she will get better with time. :) Keep touching her paws, massage her toes, look in her ears.... give her puppy massages. Praise her while doing it and giver her treats. Teach her it can be pleasurable and she will become desensitized to it.
    I found this video to be helpful, even though the lady seemed a little rough. :eek: She kind of reminds me of a prison guard. However, the Berner is really tolerant, a lovely Berner, indeed.

Klexi likes this.
  3. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Thanks cleo
    I had seen the video and yep one tolerant Berner there!
    Makes me feel better to know all this will get better with time.

Cleo likes this.
  4. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

I found this website that is grooming for a Bernese from the Bernese club. When they talk about the nail trimming Sierra and I walk on the asphalt when we do our walks. Mostly because there are a lot of dog owners who don't pick up after their dogs. But what this does is files her toe nails for me. We have yet to cut them our selves because our walks do it for us. I love that part!!
    http://bernesewa.com.au/grooming/

Cleo likes this.
  5. LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle Member

The best way to learn where to cut your animals nails is to have your vet show you at the next appointment. In many cases, the vet will handle this care procedure if you ask them to. Even if they do not, they will show you how to properly do so. To cut them, you will want to use nail clippers that are designed for dogs.

6. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

If your in a cool place walk on asphalt. Our Vet loves our method. She said she never thought about that but Sierra is over 18 months and we have never cut her nails and he nails are perfect per the Vet. Some Vets will cut for you as a courtesy and some will charge. The asphalt is free!!!