Spaying

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by maryelser, May 21, 2008.

1. maryelser

maryelser New Member

I've heard that there are heath problems that spaying can prevent. Also, that spaying can increase her lifespan. Anyone have any suggestions on whether or not to spay?

2. liowkc

liowkc New Member

Puppy skin is extremely sensitive. Dilute Avon Skin-So-Soft (one ounce and fill up the spray bottle with the water and spray on your dog.

3. maryelser

maryelser New Member

I'm sorry I didn't clarify myself. What I meant to ask was does anyone have any views on whether or not to spay or neuter your bernese to prevent health problems? Especially in the females?

4. R1986

R1986 New Member

I haven't heard of it making a difference for Berners but I'm a big advocate of spaying or neutering dogs and cats anyhow. Do you already have one? If you do this may be a good thing to ask your vet. I wish I knew enough to just tell you.

5. maryelser

maryelser New Member

No, we haven't gotten one yet, still just considering. I had read some where that some of the females have reproductive problems that could cause serious health problems and that spaying could help. If I was going to breed bernese dogs I wouldn't even consider it but we would only want one. Actually, one is probably all we could afford! :p

6. cnowers

cnowers New Member

When to spay?

Does anyone have an opinion as to the optimal timing to spay a female Berner?

There appears to be opinion that suggests prior to the first heat (prevents breast cancer?) and other thinking it is best to wait until after (beneficial effect of hormonal changes on bone structure).

Any thoughts or opinions much appreciated...

7. nanney1

nanney1 New Member

I would wait until after the first heat cycle. In fact, I would wait until I thought she had finished growing. Could be 18 months, or possibly longer, say 2 1/2 years of age. Vets tend to recommend early spay/neuter. And there are some reasons that Vets and Humane Society groups profess. There are some health benefits usually touted in favor or early spay/neuter but they don't tell the whole story. The best reason to have your dog spayed or neutered is to prevent unwanted pregnancies. If you can prevent that from happening in your dog, then you should consider the entire health picture related to spaying and neutering.

I'm not sure of the rules on linking, but here it goes, some pros and cons to consider:

Canine Sports Productions: Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete
    Early Neutering
    http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
    Should I spay or should I no... pros and cons of neutering
    AVMA: Error

8. cnowers

cnowers New Member

When to spay?

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply, I will read the materials you sent.

9. Puppyluv

Puppyluv New Member

I had a Siberian Husky, Tangiere, who lived to be almost 16 1/2 years old. I had her spayed right after her first heat per my Vet and after deciding if she had puppies I would never get rid of any of them. :D

With my new puppy, Bailey, my Vet now advises that they need to be spayed prior to the first heat due to all sorts of health issues including a longer life span. I wish I could remember the other benefits. I have been going to him for 25 years and have always trusted him. However, 16 1/2 years for a Husky says alot, too.

Personally, I think think spaying under 4 months is just too early. Bailey was spayed a week before 5 mos old.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  10. hsf203

hsf203 New Member

Yes, yes, yes, get her spayed! I had a female that I got when she was a little older. She wasn't spayed and I kept her in tact. As she got older, she developed breast tumors that the vet said she probably would not have gotten if she was spayed. Also, in tact females tend to get infections of the uterus, which would mean you would have to get her spayed anyway - and if she is old by then, you might lose her in the process. Also, when they are in heat, they have a tendency to jump fences, etc...she might get pregnant and you would just be adding to the homeless dog population (even if you found homes for your puppies, that is that many existing dogs who don't get homes).