Soft Stool/Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by MONTANA52, Oct 5, 2016.

1. MONTANA52

MONTANA52 New Member

Hi I have a question-has anyone else experienced soft stools and Or diarrhea frequently with their puppy??

I was told it could be a sign of a growth spurt as our pup is just 5 months old. He's had this off and on again diarrhea for a while now and we've changed his food and even put him on antibiotics which seem to intermittently help. We've even had him tested for parasites and worms with negative findings. Is it possible this is just a puppy thing?

He is extremely playful and about 50lbs at 5 months so he is surely growing but I'm worried he isn't getting ample nutrients if he is pooping frequently and it is soft. PLEASE HELP!

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Does any of the food you are feeding him have chicken or chicken by products in it. Sierra will get diarrhea if she eats chicken. So did my Great Pyrenees when they were alive. Also, some dogs will have loose stools if they have anxiety attacks. Not sure if yours does that when you all leave and then come back to him that day.

3. Klexi

Klexi Guest

When Lexi got water diarrhea we stopped giving anything else than her food. He diet consisted of rice and boiled chicken. For a week we reintroduced he food gradually over that period. Vet also gave some pills. She was ok after. Then she started AGAIN and that's when we knew it was her rawhind bones.
    NEVER had diarrhea again.
    So before switching foods (which is so hard on their stomachs) I would cut on everything else but the food which you can add rice and/or rice water in it. Or do as we did.
    You can try adding pumkin (canned) but we didn't since I find it works but doesn't last.
    Then you try one treat or bone etc at a tine over a 2 week period.
    I am only suggesting this as it has worked wonders for us. Yet every dog and reason for diarrhea can be different.
    Good luck and keep us posted;)

4. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

These are the most common rawhide risks:

• Contamination. As with pet toys, rawhide chews can contain trace amounts of toxic chemicals. And, as with other pet (or human) foods, Salmonella or E. coli contamination is possible. Even humans can be at risk when coming into contact with these bacteria on rawhide treats.
    • Digestive irritation. Some dogs are simply sensitive or allergic to rawhide or other substances used in their manufacture. This can cause problems, including diarrhea.
    • Choking or blockages. Rawhide bones and other edible chews can pose a choking and blockage risk. In fact, this is a much bigger risk than contamination or digestive irritation. If your dog swallows large pieces of rawhide, the rawhide can get stuck in the esophagus or other parts of the digestive tract. Depending on its size and where it is located, a vet may be able to remove these pieces fairly easily through the throat. But sometimes, abdominal surgery is needed to remove them from the stomach or intestines. If it isn’t resolved, a blockage can lead to death.