Shaving

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by jpgonzo24, Apr 22, 2013.

1. jpgonzo24

jpgonzo24 New Member

Last weekend I took my Berner Max to get groomed. I know and understand that Berners should not be shaved. Through a lapse of judgment and misunderstanding, the groomer shaved him. When she asked me if I wanted him shaved, I said yes. Only I thought she meant his belly and and around his ears, which he has had done several times. I don't necessarily blame the groomer even though she should have known better. While discussing what I wanted done, I was corralling my 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter. I recalled the groomer saying that it would be faster and cheaper to shave him than to blow him out and brush him. All I heard was cheaper and I said yes. What do I do now?

2. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

Should be okay, just use sunscreen

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion, but from what I have read, there still seems to be some disagreement as to whether or not this is even a problem. In fact, I have read several articles and posts about owners that do shave their berners, however, you have to take care not to let them get sunburnt (Dog-friendly sunscreen is needed for a shaved berner). I just wanted to say that, so you don't feel too bad. My berner had part of his leg shaved in a similar scenario and 6 months later its impossible to notice. I truly believe his coat grew back fully. When it happened I was really upset because some sources really scare you about shaving Berners, but I think you'll be alright.

If you look at this website below, you'll see that some berners are shaved without any problems, their coat grows right back. Others sometimes apparently grow back patchy. In fact this page has people saying they never shave, others saying they always do (without problems)

To shave or not to shave.....a Bernese Mountain Dog [Archive] - PetGroomer.com GroomerTALK and MobileGroomerTALK Community

Just keep in mind that this is a grooming page on the internet, and the best thing would be to contact your breeder or vet. Also, any berner club would be glad to help you out with any questions you may have. Remember to take care of the skin even in mild sunlight, as they are used to being covered. They might act a little shy, but try not to treat them any differently, their coat will be back soon enough! I sincerely wish both of you all the best. Good luck

3. jpgonzo24

jpgonzo24 New Member

Thanks JohnnyB

I got some good input yesterday from a co-worker who use to breed Berners. He told me that he has had to shave several for different reasons and not to worry. It is unlikely that he will experience any side effects because it will most likely grow back before the hot summer months. My Berner has been acting shy. He almost never lays in his bed during the day, often choosing to lay on the cool tile floor. He has chosen to lay in his bed instead of the floor for the last few days, which I haven't seen him do since he was a pup. Thanks again for the response.

4. Tlund

Tlund New Member

I live in Phoenix and my female is ALWAYS hot. Especially in Summer, So I shaved her dismissing what other people said and she LOVES it! She rolls and rolls! She seems to be cooler too. Mind you they only go out in Early morning or late night in summer but it's still rather warm for her. I do not shave my boy. He's 10 and we did once and his hair took forever to grow back right. He doesn't get as hot as my girl though so it's ok.

5. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Here is an article about shaving your dog.
    http://www.lovefurdogs.com/dont-shave-dog/

When I had our Great Pyrenees I never shaved them due to sunburn possibility. In this article there is some good information about why dogs need their fur. I too live in Prescott AZ it is hot here but not as hot as Phoenix.

6. Tlund

Tlund New Member

thanks for the article ! Great read! I wish we had a groomer here in Phoenix that was this detailed

Attached Files:

7. LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle Member

It's fine to shave them, provided that that don't have any skin problems. But you wouldn't know that unless you try to shave them or go to the expert groomers.