Red Droopy eyes

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by Sallyjvb, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Sallyjvb

Sallyjvb New Member

Hello
    I am rather new to this forum and certainly new to Berner ownership. We got our female Berner at 10 weeks from a reputable breeder with good blood lines.
    Kaia is now 6 1/2 months and at times her eyes(bottom) are very droopy and red. I know there is a medical condition called Ectropin.
    My vet said she just hasn't grown into her face yet
    I do notice it much more pronounced today, the day after being spayed, so could it be related to being tired?
    Do I need to be worried?
    I hope not, this is the sweetest, most wonderful breed of dog we have had

thank you !
    Sally

2. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

Ectropian eyes means he lid is not tight fitting and therefore is "loose" and hangs revealing the red skin inside like a hound dog.

If this sounds like your dog ghen she likely has this but to your vet's point, a lot of young dogs have some skin looseness that firms up as they grow. All depends on how severe this is......

Post a close up pic and you can likely get help here.....

Rachel

3. WonderBread

WonderBread New Member

My Berner had the droopy lower lid when she was a younger pup. She is 16 months now. Her eyes are fine now, but when she was younger and we had her out in public, people would always ask why her eyes were so red. I talked about it with the vet and we took the wait and see approach. She grew into her droopy eyes. Hopefully your pup will grow into their eyes also.

4. Sallyjvb

Sallyjvb New Member

THanks to both of you. This site is wonderful to us newcomers to this great breed.
    She does seem to have a lot of skin arond her face and she is growing so fast, perhaps indeed she has not grown into her face yet
    She weighs 73 pounds. I believe she will be a big girl

thanks again

5. Megscott73

Megscott73 New Member

My girl has it too. It is definitely more pronounced when she is tired. Out vet said the condition itself is not serious, but very infrequently, it can cause eye infections if dirt or pollen gets into them. She also said that they tend to "tighten up" as they get older. It is an undesirable trait for a show dog, but not usually anything to worry about.

6. MosierDog

MosierDog New Member

It also could be due to dehydration. My berner gets that, and often it's after she hasn't had water for a while. Try feeding your puppy ice chips if she doesn't like drinking water plainly. Hope this helps!

7. Sallyjvb

Sallyjvb New Member

thanks for idea, Kaia drinks more than any dog I have had, and she LOVES ice chips
    Sally

8. ISIS

ISIS New Member

Hi There,

Our litlle lady Isis also suffers from this droopiness and redness arounds the eyes......good to hear it is a common occurence as we too were getting a little worried.

Thanks ofr hte guidance people.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  9. Fischer

Fischer New Member

Very glad to hear this is fairly common in the breed, and not something to be overly concerned about at first.

Frankie (17 weeks old) presents the exact same symptoms described above (droopy eyes after exertion, redness,..etc.). She started have green discharge around one then both eyes. The vet examined her eyes and determined there were no major scratches on the surface of the eye, and no major infection (as indicated by perfectly normal body temp). He had basically chalked it up to the fact that dust and dirt can easily get "trapped" by the lower eyelid, and the discharge is the body's natural way of getting rid of it. He recommended just keeping an eye on it vs. prescribing antibiotic drops seeing as her eyes didn't seem to be bothering her or causing any discomfort.

Its been a couple weeks since then and the green discharge is still there. It hasn't worsened, and still isn't causing any noticeable discomfort, but I'm thinking about giving the vet a call.....

10. Cleo

Cleo Guest

I am curious to know how this turned out for everyone. Did your Berner grow into his skin?

Did it resolve its self?

x

11. ISIS

ISIS New Member

All good at our house now.

She does still get a little red around the eyes when she is tired but a good ole snooze sets her right. :):):)

Cleo likes this.
  12. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Amazing all the info we can get on this forum I new her eyes were red because she was tired but the droopiness I found weird.
    Now I know why. Thanks everyone!

Cleo likes this.
  13. Cleo

Cleo Guest

I agree with @Klexi - The information here is helpful. Cleo is 16 months old now and looking more mature, her eyes droop less... it is as if she is growing into her skin. They still do do get a little droopy sometimes when she is tired... but after a nap and first thing in the AM, she looks beautiful.

14. Martlet

Martlet New Member

I'm a new Berner owner and not an expert by any stretch. However, I notice the "droopy eyes" when something isn't right with my pup. It's when he gets into something he's not supposed to, over tired, dehydrated, etc.

15. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Sierra's eyes are oval in shape with close fitting eyelids. No droopiness to them even when she is tired.

16. Cleo

Cleo Guest

I believe I read that in the 1920s the Bernese Mountain Dog was outcrossed with the Newfoundland. This one time mating allowed one litter which is the basis for all Bernese Mountain Dogs today. It was this outcross that gives the Berner their thick coat and why they share some characteristics of the Newfoundland. I am not an expert, but I also believe this is why some Berners eyes are a little droopy. The Bernese Mountain Dog standard for show quality dogs is close fitting eyelids.... it my impression they are trying to breed away from the droopy eyes characteristic.

Below are pictures of Newfoundlands. See any resemblance, minus the drooling of course?

1NF.jpg 2NF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
    Klexi likes this.
  17. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Entropion and Ectropion (eyelids turned in or out) effect the eyelids, which should be tight fitting in Bernese Mountain Dogs. Either condition can result in damage to the dogs' eye. Entropian is a heritable condition where the eyelid rolls inward causing irritation to the surface of the eye. Entropion is the reverse where the eyelid rolls out serving as a "catchers mitt" for tiny bits of debris that can irritate pink tissues on the inside of the eyelid.
    This is a health issue in the Bernese Mountain Dogs, Newfoundlands and Saint Bernard. They used both dogs in the breeding creation of the Bernese, but they also used the Pyrenees Mountain dog which that trait isn't a problem in hopes to eliminate the health issue. Unfortunately, Entropion and Ectropion is still occurring in the BMD line.

Cleo likes this.
  18. Cleo

Cleo Guest

Great Info @summersnowbr - I had no idea they were crossbred with the Saint Bernard and Pyrenees as well.