Puppy too small?

Discussion in 'First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions' started by Mellie, Dec 17, 2016.

1. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Yes, Amy slow growing is much better on the Berner's bones. How much does your Berner weigh and I assume he is 18 weeks. Also, thanks for joining the group.

2. Amy H

Amy H New Member

He's 20 weeks. 22-23 inches I measured him today and about 45 pounds. He hasn't been to vet since 14 wks so I'm making educated guess on weight. He was 22 lbs at 8-9 wks when we got him. He's eating 50% nutro ultra large breed puppy & 50% pro plan sensitive salmon adult it has same protein & fat content as nutro ultra. Stopped his loose stools. My vet recommended switching to high quality adult food by 6 months. He started pro plan about 10 days ago maybe. My German Short haired pointer's skin allergies have cleared since the switch also. He's been eating her food so I had to feed her what he's eating. Since she's VERY active the high protein and fat are great for her busy body lol.

3. Amy H

Amy H New Member

I thought he was 18 weeks. Just looked on calendar and he's 20 weeks oops. He loves a boiled egg and he will pick up poop if I don't get to it first!

4. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

I decided to take Sierra to the Vet to have her weighed getting ready to give her the next heart guard dosage and wanted to make sure her weight was correct for the dosage since I buy 3 months in advance. Neighbor who has a German Shepard thought Sierra was losing weight. Well the little girl (if that is what you want to call her) weighed in by the vet at 105 lbs at 16 months and 11 days. I was surprised because I too thought she was losing weight. Vet said no just incredibly muscular. Vet said she still looks good.