Puppy food vs adult food

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by barrie, Nov 25, 2011.

1. barrie

barrie Member

When do you take a berner puppy off of puppy food and put them on adult? Why, I see some say at 5-6 months. My sister in law has a nefie and her vet says 18 months

2. Rowan

Rowan New Member

Hi Barrie,

I never fed Fynn on Puppy food I went stright to Aduld food as Puppy food has too high of a protien content for Berners. hope this helps :)

3. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Wonder if these may be of help.

Crude Protein = 22% - lower protein content to protect against hypertrophic osteo dystrophy in puppies and panosteitus in adult dogs; also, your dog's kidneys are less likely to "burn out."

Dog Food Feeding Berner Puppies and adults

My new puppy will be fed the same as my previous Berner fed a raw diet. Less protein than commercial foods. This is not always easy or acceptable to other owners so you need to find a good quality food with these sort of protein ratios.

4. bernese

bernese New Member

I feed my puppies puppy food (purina pro plan puppy is my favorite) until 4-5 months if they are of normal weight and then I switch them to adult food. It is important to have your puppy grow slow so their joints can keep up.

5. sa1821

sa1821 New Member

We never did puppy food either. What I was told is it helps them to grow quickly and as was said before you don't want a big dog to be encouraged to grow fast so we've always had her on an adult formula without particularly Good Luck!

6. Angel

Angel New Member

I had the same question I am presently feeding my little guy (4Months old) Innova Large breed puppy food and asked my vet and she said not to change his food until he is about 1 yr old.