Puppy breath

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by dellasdad, Oct 4, 2008.

1. dellasdad

dellasdad New Member

Our 5-month old Berner has got really bad breath!:(

I've read up a bit about this and it seems that a lot of puppies around this age have this problem as they start to lose their teeth. I'm sure it is just a phase she is going through, but does anyone have any good suggestions on what we can do to improve this? Is human toothpaste harmful to dogs?

Any advice appreciated.

2. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

Ironic that you would ask about the toothpaste..... We were at the vet yesterday asking what kind of chew or bones will help with the tarter on Rileys teeth. He told us that the best thing you can do is to brush. We had a Doggy toothbrush when Riley was little, but he didnt like it AT ALL, so we stopped trying to use it. But the vet said they have one that just fits over your finger and you can just rub the outside of the teeth and gums with it. 3-7 times a week is what he suggested. I am planning on looking for one of those this weekend. But...back to the toothpaste. He said to never to use human toothpaste. Cant remember what all he said it has in it that is bad for dogs, but it can definitely upset their stomach and some can even be poisonous to a dog. He said to uses one that is specific to canines. Like I said I am planning on looking at Petsmart this weekend and see what they have, I will let you know:)

3. dellasdad

dellasdad New Member

Thanks for all that info - glad I asked about the toothpaste!:eek:

I'll be looking out for one of those finger brushes as well - wonder if PetSmart deliver to France?