Pulling Things off Tables

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Training Forum' started by dangiers, Feb 11, 2016.

1. dangiers

dangiers New Member

Hello there everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my 5 month old berner. She has started the habbit of pulling things off of tables and destroying what she can get her teeth on. A month ago I had just finished setting the table for dinner and she pulled a placemat off the table, this resulted in a smashed plate and glass. Yesterday I had gone to the washroom and my dog shredded a letter I was writing to my grandmother who has just passed away and several of my daughters valentines.

When I do catch her jumping up I have been putting her down and telling her "No jumping" but she thinks it's a game and becomes more agressive and begins barking.

I do not want this behaviour to continue, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

2. Gypsy2015

Gypsy2015 New Member

We had the same thing, and work really hard at moving everything out of her reach. She has pulled down newspaper and mail and shredded them, a pair of gloves, as well as opened a package of migraine meds, luckily not eating any of it. That was enough of a scare to make us even more cautious.
    We were very consistent with saying no and down firmly, and it seems to be happening less (she's almost 11 months now).
    This was all new to us as our previous Berner showed no interest in things on the counter!
    Good luck!

3. Bentleysmom

Bentleysmom New Member

I can't offer much advice, but I certainly can sympathize! Our Berner is also 5 months old and this past week he ate a piece of mail (the entire thing) and pulled my cellphone off the counter and chewed on that. We have only "caught" him in the act of counter surfing couple times but I don't know how to correct the behavior either. He also loves to pull tea towels off. It is getting to the point I'm wondering if we can keep ANYTHING on the counters. We also get the " Berner back talk" when we have yelled at him.:eek: