Protective Berner?

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog General Discussion' started by Klexi, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Hello Berner lovers,

Anyone have a protective Berner?

Lexi is now 6 months old. She is a people lover And a HUGE fan of Kids!
    But for the past month when on walks if someone new is talking to me (from a distance) she will stand between the stranger and I and will bark non stop.
    I have looked up the kind of bark and it is an ALERT bark. There is NO agressivity whatsoever but as if she is warning the person not to come any closer.
    She does NOT do this with kids and she does not do this with strangers who pass right by us. She ONLY does this with strangers who TALK to me. She also doesn't do this with people who she knows I usually talk with.
    It's weird.
    Strangers who pass by without talking to me get the wagging tail wiggly butt ritual from her.
    Anyone else have any experience with this breed being protective.
    I will not encourage this behavior to escalate in anyway but I do not hate it either.
    When I looked up this breed the watchdog ability was something important to me. I had written a thread on this before because she had NO watchdog in her and I was hoping she would. Remember I will not let it escalate and there is No agression whatsoever.
    Just want to know how protective your berners are.
    Thanks

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Sierra is not protective at all. In fact my husband and I keep saying that if a stranger walked up to us or the house Sierra would go right off with them. On walks she doesn't bark at all, not even when other dogs bark at her. The only time she barks is when she looks out the window and see's someone she is not familiar with but as soon as I come to the window she stops barking and wages her tail. Not much of a watch dog. But then that's what we wanted.

3. Momaire

Momaire Member

I can't say that I see any protective behavior on Callie's part either. When she is uncomfortable in a situation she stays close to me as though she expects me to protect her rather than the reverse :). Still very much a puppy at 3 1/2! She learned as part of her Canine Good Citizen training to passively accept my handoff of her lead to a stranger. This is a big help at places like the vet's office or the groomer when I have to leave her behind.

Although Berners don't seem to have a reputation for being protective I have come across stories of normally docile Berners springing into action when their owners are attacked. Tall tales? I don't know, I'd like to believe Callie would help me out if I needed her to!

4. Klexi

Klexi Guest