Pet Smart - Furminator treatment

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by kpacheco, Jan 23, 2012.

1. kpacheco

kpacheco New Member

Hi, has anyone tried this? I was looking into sending Motley in March, but wanted to know if it was worth the extra money. Or is a normal bath & brush fine?

2. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

Don't waste your money to have someone use a furminator brush on your dog. One treatment costs the same as the cost of the brush...so instead, just walk into PetSmart and buy a Furminator and comb your dog. All it is a rake.

Now be careful not to over use it as you can deplete the coat and take too much....but using a few times per year is a good idea and these rakes are invaluable with this breed.

3. LuvMyBerners

LuvMyBerners New Member

Not sure what they are offering in the bath package you were looking at from Pet Smart, but I do know that a de-shedding shampoo & conditioner treatment works miracles for my two Berners. I brush my two dogs 2 to 3 times a week and with that brushing I can still remove a tremendous amount of hair after this treatment. Ask Pet Smart what type of drying they will use on your dog. A cage dryer will not remove any loose hair, where the blowers such as the K9-3 will blow out any loosened hair.

4. Richardson

Richardson New Member

We are a full service grooming and upscale spa for cats and dogs.

5. Bogart

Bogart New Member

Going to a quality groomer twice a year and brushing your Berner regularly will do wonders for the coat. Quality professional groomers have tools that will deal with blowing coats far better than an owner with a hose and a brush. I have to have a disclaimer that I do manage a dog facility with grooming, retail, boarding a daycare. I bath my own dog at home but like I said twice a year (when blowing coat) I have our groomers bath my berners. As far as big box grooming stores, the majority are all on times schedules and will no do justice for a heavy coat and will be more pricey ie. charge for a deshedding and call it a furminator treatment and charge more.

6. packetsmom

packetsmom New Member

I have a furminator brush for the cats and love it. I was already considering getting a larger one for any dog we might have. I feel like I get a lot more loose hair with it than my other brushes of similar styles. It really made a huge difference with an elderly maine coone we had that was all natted and dull when we got him. He looked like a new cat after a couple of good sessions with it. :)

7. Jjbarker

Jjbarker New Member

Furminator

I recently bought a furminator for my 10 month bernese. I use it about once a week with the regular brush. It gets out alot of hair with just a few strokes. But how often should I be using it? I don't want to ruin my dogs coat. Someone mentioned only a couple times a year?

8. lyraandlucy

lyraandlucy New Member

Hi im a former petsmart employee. And I could care less about the company. I use the treat ment on my two and it works. The key is it is a treatment so it has to be done about evety two months. Try and find some where else that is cheaper. Petsmart is way too expensive for berners.

9. lyraandlucy

lyraandlucy New Member

You can use it about 15 to 30 mins a day.