Nipping/Biting

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Training Forum' started by Chris, May 31, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

Over the last week our Luke has started to become more aggressive when he is excited. He is 3 months old now. He will sometimes run up to you and start biting your shorts/jeans etc. and biting on your legs. We try to get him to stop by saying no or stop and pushing him down or lifting him up on two-legs, and also trying to distract him with a toy or something... but so far this seems like some behavior that we need to work on removing as we don't want a biting (to him im sure its just play) 100+ lb adult berner.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Toilkgino

Toilkgino Banned

Natures Miracle

I only use nature's miracle

Hands down the best stuff for odor and stain removal. Google will show you the way.

jack

3. Toilkgino

Toilkgino Banned

Natures Miracle

You won't find a better solution Google will show you the way.

jack

4. Toilkgino

Toilkgino Banned

Natures Miracle

You won't find a better solution Google will show you the way.

jason

5. Toilkgino

Toilkgino Banned

Natures Miracle

Two words:

Nature's Miracle.

Hands down the best stuff for odor and stain removal. Google will show you the way.

john

6. Chris

Chris New Member

We actually already have Nature's Miracle spray... how are you saying it works to stop leg nipping etc? spray some on your clothing?

7. Joychomohic

Joychomohic New Member

Definitely go with Nature's Miracle

You have my vote for Nature's miracle.

Quote from manufacturer:
    "Nature’s Miracle Stain and Odor Remover removes the oldest, most stubborn set-in stains and odors from carpets, floor and other surfaces that other products have failed to remove."

I actually just purchase some two days ago from my favorite cat supplies store, purfect cat supply.

You can check it out Nature's Miracle

Elyse

8. Chris

Chris New Member

We already have the odor removing stains for use when he pees in a bad spot.

Isn't this better to stop nipping?
    Nature's Miracle - Product Template
    5090 - Best Behavior Pet Training Aid
    * Stops unwanted chewing, biting, licking, scratching.

* Convenient size.
    * Great for carrying while traveling.

9. Lucky-Liz

Lucky-Liz New Member

It's natural for pups to nip and bite and we just need to teach them to use their mouths softly. I followed Dr. Ian Dunbar's advice to a T and taught both our dogs that nipping too hard was a BIG NO-NO while also teaching them it was OK to chew on other things. We followed the advice in the book "Before and After Getting Your Puppy - the Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy & Well-Behaved Dog" by Dr. Ian Dunbar. Basically he says (and we followed his advice to a T) when the puppy nips too hard, pretend you're really injured and yelp and turn away and ignore him for a bit. Give him a chew toy instead to chew on. Eventually, I assure you, the dog realizes that they must not nip too hard or they will be ignored and they will get a "soft mouth". We have a 16 mo old grandson now (i.e tail & ear pulling machine) and while we supervise 100% of the time, we are confident that our dogs will not react to him negatively. As well, we were able to see another example of how good our girl's bite inhibition is when our vet had to manipulate her sore leg (torn ACL) and she just kind of growled a bit and turned towards him but didn't try to bite him. Be patient and remember they're only being dogs. I find, if I try to act more like a "mother dog" (i.e, not talking but instead using body language to quiet them) it's ever so much better. Berners need a gentle hand in training - they have a sensitive and shy nature naturally.

10. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Hi Chris not sure if the males are worst for this but Ollie use to be the same but it was our arms. He took a long time and many bruises later to sort out it was consistency and teaching him fetch a toy that solved our problem. We did also give him time out when he got too bad normally when overtired he went into the kitchen behind a gate only for a couple of minutes if he behaved he was allowed to stay out if he forgot and got excited and nipped and bit he went straight back in and we carried on with this till he learnt.

He is still mouthy I think its a breed trait someone else at a training class told me their Berner was mouthing hard till he was a year old.

Ollie now Mouths my arm when I come home but if I say gently he stops or lessens his bite.

11. hwhite84

hwhite84 New Member

You should never dismiss something like that as a "trait" or "that's just how he is". All dogs can be trained. It just depends on how consistent you are.

Toa is 8 months. He mouths but never bites down on me. All dogs do it. I stopped Toa's puppy biting by ignoring him. If he wanted to bite then the game is over. No toy. No play. Then when he calmed down again we could go back to playing. Seems mean, but it works. You have to treat the dog the same way another dog would. They wouldn't stand for it. Sometimes the high pitched yelp worked, but sometimes the high pitch means high energy and gets them even more excited. You have to combine this with ignoring the pup for a bit to get the full effect.

Not sure why someone posted about odour eliminators, but I have to put my two cents in on that too... I tried everything (including nature's miracle) when we had a kitten that peed everywhere, and the only thing that truly got the smell out was OUT! brand. We even rented a carpet cleaner and bought special solution for it and that didn't even get the smell out. But OUT! worked the best for us. :)

12. Gail949

Gail949 New Member

Welcome to the world of crazy Berner babies!

My Finnegan and his Swissy Girlfriend did this to her Mom, and unfortunately I heard the same thing from other Swiss Dog owners. I suspect it has something to do with their hearding instincts, to nip and bite to get attention.

My best method of stopping this was to always carry around toys, and as soon as the biting started, I would first say NO BITE, and then re-direct the energy and say "YOUR TOY or FINNEGAN's TOY" and when he picked up or played with his toy, I would praise and praise.

To this day, when I get home, the first thing he does is he goes and grabs a toy to play with.

Some good avoidance ideas are carrying an empty can with 20 pennies in it, and when they bite, shaking the can and again saying NO BITE. Again, redirect energy to one of their toys.

Squirt bottles with water might work, but it didn't for Finnegan...he liked the water.

It is just play, but unless you have a lot of fur, it does hurt.

Good luck,
    Gail

13. hightlow

hightlow New Member

14. frisssel

frisssel Member

I also had a "huge" problem with Storm. I tried many ways, but the best I found with him was to "time out" away from me. He hated being away from me and this seems to help in everything.

15. kroseycorn

kroseycorn New Member

Biting Hard!

I am having a heck of a time with Penny, who is 14 weeks old today.

She can be a perfect, snuggly angel that likes her belly rubbed and to play with her toys, but then there are the other times when she turns into Spawn-of-Satan dog. This morning was one of those times. She's been liking to get up really early, 4:30AM or 5:00AM to play. We suffer through her barks and cries for an hour (she does NOT have to go potty, i must note... nor is she hungry or thirsty... just wants to play) to try and teach her that we don't get up-up, except to go potty, until 6:15-6:30A.

Upon letting her out, she sometimes gets kind of crazy. Running around semi-uncontrollably. If you sit on the couch, she lunges, continually jumping and biting (hard) at anything she can, your feet, legs, sweatshirt, arms... even your face if you dared to get it close. At these points its all I can do to not hurt her by pushing her off of me. I drag her to the bathroom and shut the door, she scratches for awhile, calms down (sometimes pees) and then I let her out. She's usually good for 2-3 minutes, but then she's back at it!

I was practically in tears this morning... I just didn't know what else to do. Spraying her with water isn't working. "No!" doesn't seem to faze her at all. She only bites more if you yelp. Coins in a can... fail. We walk her and tire her out, which works immediately after the walk, but not in the long term.

I'm trying to positively reinforce good behavior, but i'm so startled by this seemingly aggressive behavior... she's not my first dog, but I don't remember my previous puppies (labs) doing this! I smacked her on the butt with my sock monkey slipper this morning and felt so bad!! But the little puppy-teeth-sized bruises on my arms and ankles, and the dime sized bruise on my stomach (yea.. .she went for the ties on my hoodie) suggests it was warranted!

Please tell me this is a puppy thing! Or do i need to seek some professional help for Penny Bean?

16. frisssel

frisssel Member

Ok I might get into trouble here but storm was the same way. I thought I was going to kill him if it didn't stop. It took a lot of patients and many different things.

here is what worked the best, doesn't hurt him and I still do it. when he started to bite like you say i would hold my hand under his jaw and hold his tongue down and say no. It took several times but he got the message.

Because I work I have him on a schedule.His play time is after supper. I take him outside and play hard with him, whether it be a ball, or squeeky or stuffed animal, he has my attention, full attention then. He gets walked as soon as I come home from work. I don't have to leash him, he gets to run free and we go walking in the bush. How long depends on how he is doing physically that day.

I didn't have the jumping because he couldn't but I ended up with that when he was 90lbs. So I pushed him down said no and made him sit. we turn when he goes to jump and when he calms down he gets attention.

It can be very trying at times but be patient. I also found aggresion does not work with these guys. you have to be patient and firm, but not aggresive. My mom slapped storm one time, it was not a good scene. She also tried to "pin" him down to show him she was boss, not a good scene.

good luck!!!

17. Lucky-Liz

Lucky-Liz New Member

Our female Berner was a totally bratty puppy. She nipped, jumped up on us and on the sofa, pee'd on the floor whenever her "friend" Snoopy came over, and had many sessions of running around like a dog possessed by the devil. I remember after one such session, (witnessed by a friend who is a cat owner), thinking, "OMG, what the heck have we gotten ourselves into with this little monster?". But, I have to say, I spent a good deal of time training her to sit, stay, rollover, come, wait, be still, be quiet, etc etc and it has all paid off in the long run. We also crate trained her, so she had lots of "quiet time" with only kong toys to calm and amuse her. By the age of 2, she was a very calm and confident dog and now (nearly 5), she is one of those supremely wonderfully obedient, confident and sweet dogs that everyone longs to have! We still marvel that that bratty puppy turned out to be our dear Shady! On the other hand, we have our boy Leo, (now 2 y.o.) a darling puppy who did everything we asked him to immediately, who is quite shy and scared of any new situations. When we have thunder and lightning storms, he has panic attacks that last hours! Panting and hyperventilating! Poor Leo!

18. courtwor

courtwor New Member

I have a 9 month old Berner puppy and he had a nipping problem in the beginning. We used the "dog whisperer" method of firmly and quickly poking him in the neck with our index and middle finger while making a "psssst" noise when he bit too hard. This action simulates what a dog would do in the wild if another dog got a little too rough...they nip each other in the neck as a warning. This method worked wonders and the results were immediate. He now responds to the words "be gentle" and the dog whisperer method is no longer required. He simply mouths us now and licks our hand.

19. Berner love

Berner love New Member

20. Berner love

Berner love New Member

Wow hearing all the comments on the nipping really hits home I thought maybe Truman was special needs pup lol what with his hard biting n nipping. At 80 lbs 6mos it is frustrating for sur.
    But the comments about redirect and ignoring, stopping play will work in time.
    Truman’s behavior has greatly improved
    It is tiring but it will get better. This breed is so darn smart and so INMATURE all at the same time. It can be disarming when they do the growling barking and throw in the nipping but I know Truman is just wanting some WWF
    Hard play I just don’t let him think he has the upper hand. They do need to be put in place and need a stern voice without rough physical action. My trainer and breeder told me the training really never stops but when the positive results start appearing that’s what keeps you going. Don’t give up!