New puppy isn't eating enough

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Food Forum' started by LittleBo, Jul 12, 2013.

1. LittleBo

LittleBo New Member

So our new puppy, Bo, will be 9 weeks tomorrow. We've had him since last Sunday and were told by the breeder to feed him 1 cup of food twice a day (so 2 cups total). He's only been eating about half of that amount each time, so I try putting it in his crate a few hours after to get him to finish it and he'll usually eat half of the remaining amount. I assumed the first few days was just him adjusting to his new home, but by now he should definitely have his appetite. So for the past week he's probably been eating around 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups per day. Is that okay or should I be concerned? He is a little smaller then the rest of his litter, he was 9.75 lbs when we got him and the rest of the boys were over 10 lbs. He has his first vet appointment next Saturday for shots, and we haven't had any signs of a problem other than a slight lack of appetite. We feed him the same food that his breeder gave him - Taste of the Wild, so it's not that he doesn't like it.

2. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

Hi there,

Congratulations on your new pup! This is a normal adjustment. Ours took a few weeks to get his appetite. Don't worry too much, especially if your only half a cup off from your target. Give him a few more weeks to get into the groove, and I'm sure he'll start eating properly. Our berner is almost two, and some days, especially when its hot, he only eats 2 cups a day. Most of these dogs won't enjoy eating too much on hot days, so if your below Ottawa, Saint John, or Vancouver, I'm sure your in the middle of summer.
    Obviously you'll keep an eye on it, as you are the one feeding him! But don't stress too much about it, it's fairly normal! Good luck