New Berner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barrie, Sep 27, 2011.

1. barrie

barrie Member

My husband and I got a first Berner 3 weeks ago. We have Yorkies and had Dalmations in the past. My new puppy is 3 months old and I am kinda perplexed by her behavior. She has been to the vet and got a clean bill of health but she walks around the house crying and whining. Did they go through gowing pains? She really isn't very playful, just biting all the time. I try to walk her but she doesn't seem to like to walk. I tried to cuddle her and she isn't a cuddler. She does like to lay in rooms where no one else is around. I close the doors to force her to interact with us and she whines. I can't figure out what is going on with her. We are animal people. I have horses, dogs, cats so I know its not us. Any one understand the behaviors? Its been almost a month so she should be use to her new home.:confused:

2. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Oh dear doesn't sound like typical Berner behaviour.

The not wanting to walk could be through underlying health issues difficult to detect through vets and normal channels. I say this as we lost our boy at 41/2 to degenerative myleopathy and a host of other things not found till post mortem. Not saying this is the problem with your girl or wanting to frighten or alarm you.

Watch for intermittent lameness with her re: the walking. Our boy loved being with us and people he accepted but was very happy to be in the kitchen behind a stair gate when people he did not like came to visit. Most times though he loved to be laying on your feet or literally on you. She is a bit young for it to be hormones and coming into season.

Have you re-homed her ? Or has she been used to being kenneled ? If either of these things she may be finding it hard to settle somewhere new. I wouldn't force her to be with you for now give her the opportunites to be with you but on her terms rather than yours and I am sure she soon will soon come round.

3. barrie

barrie Member

We just got her 3 weeks ago. When I say she doesn't want to walk, I mean she doesn't want to go for a walk on a leash. We walk to the end of the drive and she lays down refusing to go any further but if I turn around and head back to the house she gets ups and walks.

4. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Oh yes Ollie was the same if he knew we were going home he was way ahead.

Maybe she is just finding it hard to settle into her new home give her some time I am sure she will soon settle down with you.

5. Rowan

Rowan New Member

Hi there,

Your post made me smile :) as our boy who is now a year was exactly the same when we brought him home, he seamed to like his own company and would just lie by the back door and not interact with the family,and he certainly was not a 'cuddly dog'....however how things have changed he is now never out of my site or lying outside of any room I am in,he loves to be touching me lying on my feet or sitting on my knee :eek: so I would suggest you just wait it out and I am sure she will come around in her own time.
    we also had the same problems with walking he just was'nt interested at all a really lazy puppy,we did find out later he had 'pano'which is growing pains but thankfully he has grown out of this and now loves his walks.
    I know how hard it is but try not to worry she will come around and belive me they grow so quick so enjoy your puppy while you can :)

6. barrie

barrie Member

My husband is on his way to the er vet. I came home from work and she had an accident in her crate. She was acting funny and I thought it was because she had pooh all over her. I gave her a bath and she kept walking in circles and trying to hide but never lying down. I offered her food and water but she wasn't interested and had a very rapid heartbeat. I gave her some karo in evaporated milk. I always have karo because of the yorkies in case of low blood sugar. She was acting very strange bumping into things etc so I didn't want to take a chance. She was to the vet last week and he said she was great. Maybe I am over reacting?:eek:

7. easchaars

easchaars New Member

I hope she is okay. Keep us posted. Our puppy also hated walking, but loves hiking. He is now better with going for about a 20 minute walk as long as it isn't too hot out. We live in Vermont so the cold weather is just around the corner. Let us know how she does.

8. Lynn

Lynn New Member

I hope your puppy is ok.

9. barrie

barrie Member

Well, $500 later and blood work etc, the vet came to the conclusion that she ate something that didn't agree with her. I guess she had a tummy ache and didn't know how to react to it. It scared us. This morning she ate and drank so I am hoping that is all it is. I am wondering if she is experiencing some growing pains also.

10. sa1821

sa1821 New Member

Glad to hear she is okay :) Molly wasn't much of one for walking when she was a pup either. Much preferred to grab onto the leash and lie down and chew it :p

11. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Ouch !!! Glad to hear she is now on the mend.

12. Rowan

Rowan New Member

yep you did the right thing you can never be to carefull. :)

Hope she is feeling better soon