My Dog has just been diagnosed with Cancer

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by falkend, Aug 15, 2008.

1. falkend

falkend New Member

My 7 y/o dog, which I absolutely love has just been diagnosed with cancer. He has a fast growing lump behind his right ear and he is lame in his front left leg. The Vet is saying that it is probably cancer that has spred through out his body. I'm praying that he's wrong. This dog is a mix bred of lab, dalmation, and ?(could be Bernese, Newfoundland, or Rotweiler) He does look like a Bernese, except he has absolutely no tan, just black and white, big chest, front paws. He weighs about 95 lbs. I can provide a pic. Has anyone ever had a dog that had this kind of diagnosis? (lump behind their ear)
    Thx, Di

2. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

I am so sorry to hear that your baby is sick. I know your first instinct is to think the worst. We have had more than our share of medical problems with Riley, so I know first hand the horrible thoughts that go through your head. But try to think positive. Our furry friends can have all of the same things we can, and people can have lumps that aren't always cancer. And even when it is cancer, it hasnt always spread. Is your vet going to do a biopsy? Has he referred you to another vet maybe? Please let us know how your baby is doing. And we will send you lots of Berner Hugs.

3. Luana

Luana New Member

I am so sorry about your dog!! You can google Bernese Mountain dogs and find many web sites that can tell you about Berner's and their health issues which you've probably already done.

I hope you can do a biopsy to be sure your vet is correct. I have been thinking about you ever since I saw your post and hopefully you're not offended that I have said prayers for you and your baby.

I wish you both all the best!!

Sincerely,
    Luana Evans

4. Lynn

Lynn New Member

I do hope the biopsies were clear for your dog.

5. Damnitwalter

Damnitwalter New Member

My heart goes out to you...

My 7.5 year old was just diagnosed with cancer too. We're doing what we can to keep him comfortable. I lost my first berner to cancer plus other complications at 3 so I'm grateful for ever day I've had with Walter. This breed is breaking my heart.

6. hsf203

hsf203 New Member

Cancer diagnosis

Please read my reply to "heart problems" - maybe it can help you in your final weeks. My prayers are with you.