My 4 year old Boy wont eat :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Superbear, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Superbear

Superbear New Member

im new to the board and need some suggestions. I have a 4 yr old that i rescued when he was 2 and iv always had a struggle to get him to eat. In the past month this is the worst it has been. He wont eat anything!! He has lost 12 lb. Iv tried everything including a lot of vet visits and meds and nothing is helping. Any suggestion?? Any typ of food recommendations?? Thanks!

He has been to different vets and i have spent so much money on him doing every test there is and it all comes back normal!! Iv tried wet food with our dry. He wont eat big kibble and iv tried cooking chicken. I mean he looks like i starve the poor thing. Im worried sick about him. Is there any food yall feed your babies that i could try with him. I willing to try everything.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. Charliegirl

Charliegirl New Member

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems getting your guy to eat. In all seriousness, maybe you should consider taking him to a different vet. They are really the experts (or should be) in all of many conditions that could be causing your guy's appetite loss. Do you remember what happened before he stopped eating as much - was he able to hold anything down at all? Maybe someone else on the board will have some suggestions, but I would really urge you to see a different vet. Please keep us posted.

3. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

I agree with Charliegirl.... Try another Vet... I am sure yours is doing the best they can, but getting a second opinion somewhere cant hurt. If your baby is not eating, there is a reason, so just keep trying. And please let us know what is going on...

4. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Agree with the others see another vet if possible there could be many reasosn why he is not eating.

Have you tried tinned sardines they taste very nice and smell even better to a dog. You can use them as a topper on his food or on their own. Do you feed wet or dry ?

If wet food try warming it in the microwave for about a minute it enhances the smell and sometimes this is all it needs to get them interested again of course make sure it is cool before serving. If you feed dry food try putting some warm water on the food again it helps release the smell and makes it more appealing.

Good luck with your boy please keep us posted.

5. sa1821

sa1821 New Member

My hubby's old dog went through a phase like that. She ended up having a dental absess and her teeth were too sore to eat. My sister's neo mastiff was doing the same thing and he had a really bad eye infection. I'd say something's making him feel crummy and not wanting to eat!

6. Superbear

Superbear New Member

He has been to different vets and i have spent so much money on him doing every test there is and it all comes back normal!! Iv tried wet food with our dry. He wont eat big kibble and iv tried cooking chicken. I mean he looks like i starve the poor thing. Im worried sick about him. Is there any food yall feed your babies that i could try with him. I willing to try everything.

7. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Apart from the sardines or warming the kibble with warm water or microwaing the wet food no other suggestions sorry.

Ollie would eat anything that was put down in front of him. If it doesn't seem to be medical can you think of anything that might of upset him and he has become depressed or worried it doesn't take much mentally or physically to put Bernese off their stride.

The only other thing I can think of is there might be a bitch on heat nearby. This can put males dogs off their food. If not neutered.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  8. sa1821

sa1821 New Member

What about sprinkling liver treats on it? Yogurt? What about having another dog over for the day who seems interested in his food? If he thinks another dog will eat it or that you will take it he might be more interested.

9. gypsyberner

gypsyberner New Member

if he dosnt eat this, than something is wrong.

boil chicken until cooked. use that broth to make some instant white rice. put the chicken on the rice. he should gobble that down. very easily digestible and has protein for your boy. my boy stoped eating after i got him neutered for 3 days so i gave him that.. gone in seconds. if he dosnt eat that look into teeth, heartworm test?, make sure there is no blockage,ect. or any of the other issues it could be.
    if he does eat it slowly add in the kibble and ween him off the brat diet. if he likes sweet potatoes or carrots you can add those too :)
    goodluck

10. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Well done I had forgotten that one.

A thought if he won't eat the rice if you boil the chicken with some vegetables don't worry if he won't eat them either because all the goodness will of gone into the soup and if he drinks that he will be getting some amounts of nutrition even if small.

Do not add salt or stock cubes just plain water and chicken and veg and boil. You can slowly add things if he starts to enjoy the soup.

11. Rowan

Rowan New Member

Hi just wondering if it may be the heat? we are having a small heat wave here at the minute and my boy has gone off his food but I just think he is too hot to eat,I made him a Kong pop this morning to try and keep him cool:rolleyes:

12. Amy Lynn

Amy Lynn New Member

Need to get name of food.

My boy recently went through the flu and was refusing to eat anything we gave him. The vet let us try a special food they give anorexic dogs. I would have to call and get the name but he didn't take a breath when he was eating it. Let me know if you would like the name.

13. Liza

Liza New Member

I would try cooked chicken livers. I have yet to see a dog NOT go. Uts over cooked chicken livers. If he eAts that you know he is just being stubborn:)

14. LMQ

LMQ New Member

Also not eating ...suddenly....

My Paige is also not eating.She is 13 months old. My husband and I were gone for 4 days and my sister in law was taking care of her. She said she ate everything no problem. I have 3 other dogs, 2 dachsies and a mini schnauser. They are eating normally. It has been 7 days since we are home and I noticed it the same day we came home. I'm trying the chicken and rice in the am. I just hope she eats. She looks thin. Just before we went away I did a good brushing cause she seemed to be shedding a little more than usual. I'm pretty sure she has no under coat. I wasn't rough, the undercoat came off in tuffs. I'm also taking her to the vet on Monday 9/12. I'm thinking teeth cause she takes longer to eat her treats. I put treats in her food and she ate just the treats and not all of them. Ive also been giving her table food which she seems to be eating as long as it is not in her dog foog. (Wellness large puppy and 1 can 8oz Pro plan Plus) although she didn't eat the beans tonight. She is my second berner and I'm really concerned. Any help is appreciated. Oh her stool is normal and she is drinking and peeing normally.

15. LuvMyBerners

LuvMyBerners New Member

What is his behaviour like besides the not eating issue? Has he seemed sad or depressed, any trouble with his mobility, how does his stomach/belly area seem? Have the vets you have been to done blood work?

16. BernaBernese

BernaBernese New Member

How is your dog doing? I wish your dog is fine.