Maturity: Male vs Female

Discussion in 'First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions' started by Klexi, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Klexi

Klexi Guest

I can't seem to find the answer to this question.
    I would like to know if like in other breeds if there is a difference between the male vs female as to when they mature. I know they are slow to mature but for example for some breeds females are more mature and serious much earlier then the males.
    I would like to know your thoughts on this question as I can't find anything on this particular question.
    Or anything on owning a female Bernese Mountain dog as not only am I new to the breed (which I fell in love with) but I am new to having a female puppy.
    Thank you

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

I used to be a breeder of Great Pyrenees, I retired from that when my last one died of old age. We decided once we retired that we would get another dog. Our choice was a Berner. When looking for one I only wanted a female. From my experience male dogs will be more dominate then a female. Could have more aggressive moments then a female particularly if you do not plan to neuter him. Females where always at least for us easier to train. So from my experience I, if you are not planning on breeding would only have a female dog. We are not planning on breeding our female Berner but she has been so easy we just love her so much.

3. Klexi

Klexi Guest

Thank you:)I always had males, always wanted males until my last male passed away. I don't know why but I wanted a female. Maybe its luck but she is by far the easiest puppy ever. But from your experience would you say they mature and quiet down faster?

4. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

In the Great Pyrenees line yes the female mature much faster and not as protective as the male. The female Pyrenees is still protective but if you put a male and a female in the field the female lets the male take charge. I have been familiar with the Berner breed for years. What I have observed is that the males tend to be more in charge then the females. Does that mean the male mature faster, no. From what I have seen in our girl I would say maturity wise she is maturing faster then the male that our friend has, mentally that is. she is much calmer then him, knows her obedience better then him. But do I believe he will catch up yes. So for us being older I wanted a female so that I wouldn't have to struggle a little longer in the puppy stage.