Limping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sasha, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Sasha

Sasha New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to Bernertalk and have a new Berner. Her name is Sasha and she's now 8 months old. I got her as a pup at 9 weeks old and she's had a limp on her front right leg since I got her. My vet checked her out and say's it's probably growing pains. Now she's showing signs of having trouble standing up with the rear also. Both are a lot worse after activity like walks or playing in the yard. My breeder say's they've had over 300 pups with only 4 having any elbow or displasia problems so the breeder doesn't think it's anything. Does this breed go through a lot of growing pains? Does food have anything to do with it? I feed her Eukanuba puppy for giant freeds. Is all this pretty normal or should I be getting some xrays done? I had a Black Lab with hip dispacia for 13 years and don't want to go through this again. Sasha is the sweetest breed I think I've ever known.

2. Rowan

Rowan New Member

Hi ,
    I will be interested to here the replys you recive on this one as my 6 month old pup has a limp that comes and goes on his front left leg,we went to the beach last week and an overexcited Newfoundand jumped on him and ever since he has been limping,that was 6 days ago! he doesn't seem in pain and I can manipulate his leg witout causing any discomfort,I am also hoping this is growing pains.
    Also Welcome and hope your Sasha gets well soon please keep us updated on her progress.:)

3. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

More that likely it is nothing to worry yourself over. Growing pains are very common in large breeds. BUT.. We were originally told that Riley had growing pains, and after months of going back and forth to the vet,( and btw our vet is awesome) and being diagnosed with everything from growing pains to lime disease, we found out that he had an immune disorder called SRM ( steroid responsive meningitis) NOT that I think that is what is going on with your girl at all. I am simply saying that if you dont feel comfortable with the diagnosis you are getting, then push your vet take some x-rays, do some blood work ( that is how Riley finally got a diagnosis)

I know I that I am probably more cautious than most, only because of everything we have been through. But it is always better to be safe than sorry. Please let us know how she is doing.

I too am interested to hear what others say.....

4. frisssel

frisssel Member

I also have an awesome vet and was told that stormn norman had growing pains. At 6 months we had xrays done and that week he was having surgery on both elbows.

Push for xrays just to make sure. I can not stress this enough.

5. frisssel

frisssel Member

oh and if the breeder say only 4 elbow displasia it is 4 to many. This runs in the genes of these guys, ask me I know.

6. Sasha

Sasha New Member

Well, I took Sasha to the vet last night and found out she has displacia in both elbows and both hips. Wonderful. The hips aren't real bad. The socket is about 50% of the ball so the vet say's you want at least 50%. What's strange is that Sasha limps on her front right but the xrays show that the front left is worse. It has bone growth around the joint that they say should be removed orthoscopically. For now she prescribed Rymadil and Tramadol. This is the last thing I want to do is drug my 8 month old. I don't know if I want to start getting into surgeries either. I went through all of this for 13 years with my last dog. A black lab. I guess my next step is to talk to a surgeon though. We love Sasha very much. Has anyone else that has had the elbow surgeries recommned it? Does it really help or not? Thanks for all your comments. It helps.

Pat

7. frisssel

frisssel Member

oh my god!!! i'm sorry for you, i know what you are going through.

I have had surgery on both of Storm's elbows. I cried the day I brought him home. It was difficult for the first few weeks after surgery, he was 86 lbs then. would I do it again? YES!! after he healed I seen him run for the first time. Will I now put him through another major surgery, ummm, I doubt it, he has been through so much already.

The surgery was worth it, I would have had to put him down by now if he did not have it. Does he suffer now, ya a little, but he is alive, happy and we are learning to deal with it. Storm got arthritis because he was not diagnosed soon enough.

If you do get the surgery, get a sling that goes under their chest so you can help them move while they are healing.

I am also not using pain meds unless absolutly necessary. Storm gets high doses 6000 units of omega 3, only 3 not the 3-6-9. He also is on glucosimine. We went through a period of cartophen injection but he was not reacting well to the needles.

If you have questions send me a personal message and I'll tell you what I can and how we deal with things.

Storm does lead a pretty normal life, I watch his exercise so he doesn't over do it, but he is pretty good.

8. frisssel

frisssel Member

the medical section of this site and look under dysplasia you will read the posts i did when storm was going through this.

9. Sasha

Sasha New Member

I have read all about Storm's story over the past months and applaud you for all you've done for him. Everytime I see Sasha limping I think of Storm and pray that we don't have to go there. Looks like we may though. I remember having to use a sling for my last dog for about 2 weeks while she recovered. I swore back then I would never put another dog through that. But, each case is different and you want to do the very best for your family. I'm going to talk to a surgeon just to see what we're looking at. Right now it just sounds like a scrape of the left elbow to clean it up. Maybe that's all we'll need to do if I get her on a supplement regimen. We'll take it a little at a time and hope for the best.

10. frisssel

frisssel Member

I seen a dog come through the surgery amazingly. Storms surgery they had to grind down the bone and take the fragments out. He is a normal dog, yes he limps and he has a funny shuffle and walks differently but he does lead a normal life. I have to help him when he is really sore out of the car, but again normal.

I hope Sasha does good, and if it is one elbow, not two that is good.

keep me posted please, i'll be thinking of you.

p.s. talk to the breeder again, one case is to many and that dog should not be bread again. I got no where with the breeder, but that is me.

11. jennyO8

jennyO8 New Member

Hi Everyone, I have a 19 month old Bernese called Ruby who I got from an amazing breeder in Ireland. I had to wait a year for her and before I got her I went through hours of talks from the breeder about her breeding on both sides. He explained all about hip and elbow displacia which I knew very little about and saw her parents, grandparents and great parents hip and elbow scores. We got Ruby hip and elbowed scored recently even though we have no intention of breeding from her and she got zero on both elbows and 3 on her hips. Im amazed that no one seems to think it strange that the breeder has admitted to having at least 300 pups-clearly this is a puppy farmer with little or no concern for the health of this wonderful breed and the life long pain many of the puppies born (even if a lot of the lives are much too short). I know you can never guarantee anything but surely we as responsible owners should do everything we can to help this fantastic breed. Im so sorry if this upsets anyone that is not my intention but I HATE puppy farmers and am active in Ireland trying to eradicate this horrible business.

12. frisssel

frisssel Member

oh believe me I thought about the fact of the 300. but right now i'm thinking of the poor puppy and what her and the owners are going to be going through.

I was told of storms grandmother and how she was 13 yrs of age but never once was i told about the elbows. when i contacted the breeder and told her of storms elbows, she would not respond to me. I was worried about other pups.

these guys have so many issues and the breeders should be held responsible. I will never do what i did, I will be checking out the breeder and their facility's

13. Rowan

Rowan New Member

I have had Fynn to the vet's tonight,and she said his Hips feel fine but she can feel/hear something in his left elbow he was in some discomfort when she extended both front legs.
    She has given us painkillers for a week and if we see no improvement we will have X-rays next week:( I have cried all the way home (big softie) but the stories of Storm have made me feel a lot better.All we can do is wait and see and keep our fingers crossed if the medication works but I just fear the worst.

14. frisssel

frisssel Member

I'm glad storm's story is giving people hope.

Believe me there are ups and downs, but his attitude makes it worth while. Storm has taught us a lot, he has adjusted. I do hours of research to see how I can help him. People here have helped us.

The one thing I said when I was faced with this decision was that he was a baby, a puppy and he needed a chance whether it was 2 yrs or 7 yrs, I needed to give him that chance.

Learn your dog, listen to your dog, they are smart and they will help you help them. There where times when Storm would eat me, tell me no he has had enough, that is the time I said no more injections.

My husband and I sat outside for hours after his surgery wrapped in blankets so he could have that time out side. He also has cost us a down payment on a house, but it was worth it.

My heart goes out to anyone that has a puppy like storm. Just think of this " they are special dogs, not show dogs, but special dogs and they are with the right people, they need us and they need lots of love and a bernese will give that love back"

15. bernermom

OMG! You could not have said that any better:) We feel / felt the same way about Riley. He deserved a chance. I always said he was our dog for a reason. My husband and I took turns sleeping on the couch for months so that Riley wouldn't have to go up and down the stairs. And for months I literally hand fed him to get him to eat and keep up his strength. A much as we have done for Riley........ We could never repay him for what he has given us !

16. Sasha

Sasha New Member

Hi everyone. Just got a call back from the surgeon about Sasha. The surgeon recommends we have both elbows scoped. Apparently the type of displacia she has creates boney fragments growing and then they break off and float around in the elbow joint. This is what causes the pain. They recomment going in with a scope and removing the fragments that haven't broken off and also flushing the joint. She should still be able to bare her weight afterward so a sling won't be necessary. Just have to keep her from jumping down from things for a couple weeks. Lifetime supplements are then recommended. They recommentd Dasequin. Has anyone used this supplement? I've heard someone here talk about Sasha's Blend also. The Dasequin has some kind of antinflamitory in it also that helps with pain.

17. bernermom

Well that doesn't sound "too" bad. I am sure you are relieved.:) I haven't heard of either of the supplements you mentioned. So I am interested to hear if anyone has used them. Riley takes glucosamine and fish oil supplements. But I like the fact that one of those has an anti-inflammatory in it also.

18. Rowan

Rowan New Member

Thats sounds much better than I was expecting I bet you are feeling relived?
    We are still taking the anti-inflammatory 's for a few more days than maybe x-rays next week,but I am feeling a lot more positive about things after reading Sasha's story,please keep us up to date on her recovery and progress as you have been in my thoughts for the last few days.
    The Dasequin sounds interesting I may have to 'Google' it !

19. frisssel

frisssel Member

that is great news!!!! keep us posted.

Haven't heard about the meds. I have storm on glucosimine and salmon oil which is a natural anti-inflammatory. I decided the salmon oil instead of the fish because it is a higher concentration of omega 3.

storm does get an anti-inflammatory when need, which is Metacam, use to be Duramax but the Metacam I can play with, give him a smaller dose if that is all he needs.

20. Sasha

Sasha New Member

We are very relieved after talking to the vet. Although still worried about even doing the scrape. Here's a little info on Dasuquin from the internet.
    Dasuquin®
    Dasuquin is available for any size dog in chewable tablets and soft chews. It is also available with or without methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) formulations. What is Dasuquin®?
    Dasuquin is the #1 joint health brand recommended by veterinarians . Dasuquin goes above and beyond the traditional glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate products on the market. Dasuquin contains NMX1000®* avocado/soybean unsaponifiables (ASU) formulated with FCHG49®* glucosamine and TRH122®* chondroitin sulfate. This sets Dasuquin apart from any other joint health supplement for dogs or cats.

The vet told me that the avocado oil is the pain relever since it's an antiinflamitory.