Keeping them off of the furniture...

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Training Forum' started by Maddie, May 20, 2008.

1. Maddie

Maddie New Member

One of the biggest issues many face, is keeping your lovable companion from jumping all over your best couch. Even when they stay down while you are at home, they sneak up when you are gone.

A friend of mine came up with a great remedy.

He calls home about 4 times a day, to his answering machine, which is turned up as loud as it will go.

He waits for the tone, then says, "Get down!" in his sternest voice.

He swears the dog fur on his best couch has become non-existent.

The technique must be working!

:)

2. Sage

Sage New Member

I didn't know that Berners shed that much!

Even if they don't, the answering technique is worth a shot! I bet the dog is really surprised, especially the first few times the call comes through!

3. liowkc

liowkc New Member

Like all dogs, berners shed their hair like crazy; I just have to bear with this minor incovenience and clean up as I go along.

4. tina

tina New Member

I am unable to keep my dog inside the house, so I don't have a problem like that, but your friend's remedy is really interesting. I never would have thought of that.

I should tell my friends about this :)

5. Maddie

Maddie New Member

I thought this was a funny, and terribly creative. I think he has to avoid calling at the same time every day, though.

Otherwise, the dog would learn to expect the voice and learn to ignore it!

6. Sage

Sage New Member

I wonder if the "answering machine technique" could be used to curb chewing? I guess you would have to know what time of day the dog was most likely to chew your favorite shoes so you could yell at him on cue!

7. R1986

R1986 New Member

That's a fantastic idea and one that I never thought of. Most dogs are pretty good about staying off furniture if you make sure that this habit doesn't start when they're young but if I adopted an older Berner with this tendency then I would definitely try this.

8. jessica

jessica New Member

Haha! I can only imagine the dog's surprise at hearing the voice of his master, even when he is not physically there! Couldn't help but smile myself silly when I read this! Any more unique ideas, anyone? Keep it coming!

9. R1986

R1986 New Member

I think when you're first training the puppy you have to make sure you're not always putting them up on the couch with you as well. As far as I know dogs naturally sort themselves out (via pack mentality) based on elevation so they get confused if they are always getting to lie down with the 'Alpha Dog' (human owners) at the same height like on a couch or bed.

10. cassie

cassie New Member

That is a great idea with the answering machine. I once had this cover that went under my cushions. When my dog would jump on the couch it would vibrate and my dog would quickly jump off.

11. jessica

jessica New Member

Hmm...interesting. So maybe that explains why a lot of dogs get to favor the sofa so well. But personally, I couldn't help but cuddle with those adorable creatures in the sofa as well!

12. fightscam

fightscam New Member

I think dogs in general like to get on to a soft couch whether its taken or not when it is a pup. Because I took my stray dog when it was about 3 years old, and it still loves to get on to the couch or the bed.

13. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

Even if we wanted to keep Riley off the couch, I dont think we could. Bernese are really just big lap dogs. He loves nothing more to curl up on your lap when you are watching tv! They like to be not just in the same room with you but touching you too. Sometimes your legs really do hurt, but after awhile they just go numb!:)

14. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Haha yes Bernese and the couch. We started off with good intentions, but he loves his cuddles too, so now Ollie has the couch, and sometimes we cuddle and other times he uses it as his bed, he has his own quilt on it. No that he is spoit :)
    I love the answering machine technique I can just imagine Ollie's face looking around for where it came from with that typical Bernese confused look.

15. hwhite84

hwhite84 New Member