Itchy Berner

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by Ddoede, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Ddoede

Ddoede New Member

Bernadette is a week over 3 months old and has super dry skin. When I brush her, dandruff like flakes end up in the brush. She was gnawing on her paws, hips and near her privates. Her eyes become bloodshot after eating or being outside for too long in the grass.

Allergies?

Our vet is running a trial to see if she is so itchy because of her food (food allergy). Originally she was on chicken and sweet potato (Natural Balance) and he put her on Kangaroo and Potato. She does not like the kgroo so much. :(

She is on meds right now so her itchy'ness has calmed down, but when the meds start to wear off she chews on her feet and legs again.

I think she just might have dry skin - any suggestions for a dry,itchy berner?

Poor girl itched her ears until they bled before we went to the vet. We finished the ear cream but she is still on the steroid and antibiotics ($200 later...:eek:) But thank goodness her ear infection is all cleared up.

2. Cleo

Cleo Guest

I don't have a solution but just wanted to say my heart goes out to you. I can understand how troubling this is. Keep us posted.

Big hug