Is this puppy a Bernese?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cubeone, Jan 27, 2012.

1. cubeone

cubeone New Member

A friend of mine gave me this puppy, I think it's a bernese but I'm not sure, Here are some pictures of her, please help me out, i took her to a vet and one nurse said she was a mix bernese, and the doctor said she was a "something" terrier. I presume she is from 3 to 4 months old, Nurse said 5 months old and the doctor too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. Hi people, new to this forums and to this type of dog, from watching videos on youtube about Bernese, they seem to be the best dogs out there next to Syrberian husky :p.

2. cubeone

cubeone New Member

the other pics (sorry for double post).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Awoken

Awoken New Member

A MIx

MY guess is your darling puppy is a mix of Berner and something much smaller. If the vet thinks she is 5 months, then the paws are much smaller than a 100 percent Bernese Mountain Dog's paws would be. My Bernese "puppy" is 5 months and weighs 72 lbs lol. Nevertheless, your puppy is beautiful and sure looks like she has the sweet Berner temperment and nice markings!!!

Congrats!

4. Begabone

Begabone New Member

The pictures are so large it's hard to tell. Is there anyway to resize them?

My pup is 9 weeks old today. At 7 wks he was 16 lbs. He's over 20 lbs now. Your pup looks pretty small but like I said it's hard to tell from the pics. And I'm a newbie so I am just learning too.

5. Begabone

Begabone New Member

but she is adorable btw! :)

6. Awoken

Awoken New Member

THose are certainly Berner weights

The pic in my profile was Axel about two months ago. He is huge now.

He was 21 lbs at 8 weeks, so right around where your pup is now....if your pup gains steady at 3lbs a week be prepared for a very large puppy indeed that you cant lift and very soon!!!

Have fun...they are a sweet breed of dog.

7. cubeone

cubeone New Member

Well, she is getting bigger pretty fast, she's been with me for 5 days and I already notice she's bigger and she was skinny because the previews owner didnt feed her and rarely gave her human food, she got sick and wouldnt eat for 2 days, she is better now and more energized than before and eating ALOT. I'll try to put some smaller pics here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is very social, specially with other animals and SHE LOVES KIDS way too much lol. She has the personality of a bernese from what I've read on the internet about them.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  8. Begabone

Begabone New Member

Much better! Thanks :) oh my goodness, she's cute! Could she be younger than what you were told? She looks like she's got Bernes in there to me.

9. cubeone

cubeone New Member

No problem :). I thought she was younger than 4 months too as she is still weak in the legs and her eyes are so tiny. But she has all the markings of a bernese, except the Swiss cross on her chest, its not fully a Cross.

She loves being rubbed on her belly :p she stays still and turns around when you rub her belly, so cute.

P.S. I didnt like the vet doctor, he didnt seem experienced enough, he didnt treat her good, while on another vet with a different dog a few years back he would give the dog treats and play with it, this vet didnt do anything and only cared about doing more test and get the bill higher, i'm not going back to this vet ever again.

10. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

Well, you will know in due time as by a year of age it will all reveal itself (size, substance weight etc)

But....

I can tell you that I believe you have an Australian Shepherd there. Looking at the very last pic you posted shows me the most:

-a very snipey muzzle (narrow and triangular) is a hallmark of the Aussie breed

-Ears set high on the head and forward - this is the best differentiator of Aussies and Berners

-The markings, round eyes and lack of substance further make me think most likely aussie, not Berner.

Energy level should be distinctly different between these two breeds as well. Berner pups can be high energy certainly but Aussies will go crazy without sufficient mental work and exercise and further Berners are typically aloof or leary of strangers - they certainly don't run up to people on a typical basis the way an Aussie or golden would.

Now I have to add one caveat to everything I stated above: most everything has been seen in the Berner breed in poorly bred Berners not adhering to the breed standard....some breeders have so irresponsibly gotten away from the standard that the only thing resembling a Berner is the markings (round eyes, snipey muzzles, incorrect ear, and round eyes have all been seen and we see lack of bone all the time).

Go to the Australian Club of America website and look at their photo gallery of aussie puppies.....you can compare there best.

Rachel

11. cubeone

cubeone New Member

Thank you Rachel, I will go and check it out.

12. cubeone

cubeone New Member

From looking at Australian Shepherds pictures and videos, the one's with the long tails few have white tips, and the ones that do have thinner front legs than the puppy I have, I could say thatshe is probably a mix of Bernese and australian shepherd, but more bernese than australian. From what I can tell, Australian Shepherds have bigger hips and thighs than bernese, bernese have wider shoulders and front legs, if im mistaken pardon me, too many variety of australian shepherds out there, short tails, long tails, different coloring's, different fur marks design etc.

I guess I'll have to wait until she's bigger.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  13. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

Not quite.....Berners are a large breed dog and have a very different structure than an Aussie which is a medium size, light boned dog. There is absolutely NO part of an Aussie that has a large bone or structure than a Berner and they have a very different shaped ear and skull.

To this end, I believe I found your answer:

This image is of a Border Collie/Aussie mix and the more of these I see (which is a very common mix by the way and there are far more of these than are Berners, so statistically is more likely) the more it clearly looks like your puppy in structure in size.

Agree?

Attached Files:

14. lynn2

lynn2 New Member

Very cute indeed:)

I think a bernese mixof some sort. The head , face and body look a bit streamlined to me to be a full bernese.

Who cares anyways ;) Still supercute and hopefully has the Bernese attitude LOL

15. noritje

noritje New Member

Oh my! It does look like a Berner baby! My untrained eyes would say so, like 5-6 weeks old Berner.

Anyway cubeone, who cares if your puppy is not a Berner! Unless you've really wanted one and got duped by a breeder after paying substantial amount of money, then you should do something (but still keep the puppy!).

But in your case, no harm done, in fact, you most probably had save her life! But keep posting her development!

16. baohulu

baohulu New Member

The pic in my profile was Hollister about two months ago. He is huge now.

He was 21 lbs at 8 weeks, so right around where your pup is now....if your pup gains steady at 3lbs a week be prepared for a very large puppy indeed that you cant lift and very soon!!!

Have fun...they are a sweet breed of dog.

17. Sheldon'sMom

Sheldon'sMom New Member

How adorable!

She looks like a Berner but also an australian sheppard?

18. cubeone

cubeone New Member

Well, now I know she's not a Bernese, she's 6-7 months old and looks like a medium size dog. I still dont know what she is. I heard she looks like a half Coli.

Here are new pics of her, her name is Leila :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

Thanks for posting new pics - I will take these as confirmation of my previous post - she looks overwhelmingly Border Collie to me and I think your answer is clear. Behavior should confirm.

Rachel

20. cubeone

cubeone New Member

[​IMG]

her birthday will be at december. I'll probably get her a huge pork bone yummy :p Is that good for dogs?