Hello from Buffalo!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by KellyG, Jan 18, 2016.

1. KellyG

KellyG New Member

Hi! My name is Kelly and I'm a first time Berner owner. My girl, Scout, is 8 months old and around 65 pounds. She's a little on the tall and thin side. At first, it worried me because she was originally the biggest in the litter. Thankfully, after doing some research on this forum and our routine vet appointments, I have realized I don't have anything to worry about. She's a very active puppy and is working on her Canine Good Citizen certification.

Excited to start using the forum and learning from all of your expertise. I've attached a few pictures. :)

Attached Files:

2. Gypsy2015

Gypsy2015 New Member

3. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

She is a freaking cutie !!! I congrats on you new baby! Don't worry her weight will catch up with her! lol I call that the teenage years. They are kind of tall and lanky:) She is just precious !!!

4. bernermom

She is a freaking cutie !!! I congrats on you new baby! Don't worry her weight will catch up with her! lol I call that the teenage years. They are kind of tall and lanky:) She is just precious !!!

5. KellyG

KellyG New Member

Thanks to both of you! My husband and I love her so much. Such a good girl . . . but can sometimes act like a teenager too. Haha

6. bernermom

Emma was acting like a teenager until she was about 3! lol But we love her no matter what ! With these faces, they can get away with it !:)

7. EnzoTheBMD

EnzoTheBMD New Member

Hey! We're from Buffalo too! We just got our baby a month ago! He's 11 weeks now!

Where abouts are you in Buffalo?

Attached Files:

8. KellyG

KellyG New Member

Hi!! I live in the Southtowns. Where abouts are you? Maybe when Enzo is a little older we could meet up for a play date! :) I could go on and on about dogs, but here is my brief reply - ha!

I just saw your introduction post/picture. He is a cutie!! My Scout is 13 months now and around 90 lbs. She is still a little on the long and lean side, which makes me happy for her growth and development. She loves people! Sometimes a little too much - ha. She will still occasionally jump up when excited, which can be pretty scary for some people and children. But other times, shes perfectly fine! I brought her to Delaware park the other day and tons of people were petting her without jumping.

Scout did mouth a little bit like you described in your post and we just distracted with lots of teething toys. When she started losing teeth our trainer recommended a marrow bone, which did the trick! I can't remember if she had trouble with leash training. Enzo is so young, probably just keep doing what your doing and he will get it.

You are SO lucky about his strong stomach. We learned early that Scout is very sensitive to foods. :( Never had a dog quite like her, but she pretty much just eats her dry food and boiled chicken for treats.

Hope to hear back!

9. EnzoTheBMD

EnzoTheBMD New Member

We're around Depew/Lancaster. May I ask where you got Scout? We had to drive all the way to Port Allegheny to a farm for him. It was quiet the story (all good though).

Which trainer have you taken him? We need to get to some Obedience classes for the sake of just doing them. This has been the EASIEST dog I have ever had since we brought him home. Just the teething/redirecting... As we have been training on the leash since my last post he has been taking huge strides. He loves Como Park so we take small walks there in the short trail so I don't over exert him.

We have the same problem with Enzo! HE LOVES PEOPLE. The second he sees someone the second he runs up to them. He's so small we don't have the problems with him jumping (YET! fingers crossed)

I am watching his food intake like a hawk. My wife thinks its crazy how I inspect his stool every time. Now that I think about it I feel I am a little crazy haha...

We saw a beautiful Berner at the Taste the other day. As much as I love him at his puppy stage I can't wait for him at his burly adult stage. We have a feeling he's going to be a big big boy.

Thanks for the reply!

10. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

She is a beautiful Berner. Her weight sounds just fine. Our Berner Sierra is 34 weeks old and weighs 77.2 lbs. Vet is predicting she'll end up 110 but I'm not sure. I used to be a breeder of Great Pyrenees and the Vets always tried to predict their adult weight. 4 they said would be average and they ended up 140 lbs which is large one she said would be large and she ended up average. So I take what the Vets say will probably be the end weight with a grain of assault. What ever Sierra's weight is is fine with us. She is such a delight and that is what counts.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  11. KellyG

KellyG New Member

We found Scout in Barker, NY. I had been searching for a berner for a few years and was so happy when I found a local person with a few adults on her farm.

I go to the Barking Lot in Hamburg. It's a daycare during the day and then they have classes at night. I love the staff and the programs! Can't say enough good things about it. I trust everyone there, which is very important for me because I occasionally take her for daycare when I know I'll be at work late. Check them out on facebook! They post pictures and videos all of the time. You'll get a really good feel for how they run things. Scout earned the AKC Canine Good Citizen there. I'd love to have her continue on and earn her therapy certification, but there's the whole jumping thing. Time will tell - she's still young!

Would love to meet up with you and our pups at a park sometime in the Fall! :)

12. toan365

toan365 New Member

I just saw your introduction post/picture. He is a cutie!! My Scout is 13 months now and around 90 lbs. She is still a little on the long and lean side, which makes me happy for her growth and development. She loves people! Sometimes a little too much - ha. She will still occasionally jump up when excited, which can be pretty scary for some people and children. But other times, shes perfectly fine! I brought her to Delaware park the other day and tons of people were petting her without jumping.

13. Catherine B.

Catherine B. New Member

Kelly - can I ask what breeder you got your pup from in Barker, NY? I am looking for reputable breeders in New England and it is hard to find reviews!