Heart problems

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Health Questions' started by aey1604, Nov 30, 2008.

1. aey1604

aey1604 New Member

Hi, my Bernese has recently lost a bit of weight and has just slowed down generally. He is nearly 10 so is a good age. He has also developed a cough. I took him to the vets last week and after examining him he said his heartbeat is very irregular and he wants to do further investigation. He has to go back to the vets next week for chest x-rays, ECG and possibly an ultrasound scan. I have been looking up canine heart disease on the internet and the general outlook doesn't look very good with my dogs symptoms. The most common heart problem in larger breed dogs seems to be cardiomyopathy. Just wondered if any of you out there had any experience of heart problems in your Berners, and in particular cardiomyopathy? Thanks.

Hi an update - the chest x-ray showed that although Brodie's heart is slightly enlarged, the main problem is he has cancer which has spread to his lungs. He has 3 tumours on his lungs, one of which is really big. The vet has said this is secondary cancer though they don't know where exactly it's spread from. Just devestated at this news. The vet has said that as he doesn't seem to be in pain at the moment, its okay to leave things for now though obviously we won't leave it too long. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has lost their Berner to cancer. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. hwhite84

hwhite84 New Member

Hi there,
    I have just started out with our first berner and I couldn't imagine hearing that news. So sorry. It seems to come on pretty quickly-- At least he has lived to a really good age and he isn't in any pain. Keep us posted on how he's doing .

Take care

3. aey1604

aey1604 New Member

Thanks for you reply. It is good Brodie doesn't seem to be in any pain despite his diagnosis. He's had a good week and is still really enjoying his food and able to manage a short walk every day so things are okay at the moment. We've also recently got a new Berner pup so that has perked him up a bit! Will keep you posted on how he's getting on.

4. yogi2008

yogi2008 New Member

I'm so sorry. my prays are with you.

5. hsf203

hsf203 New Member

I am so sorry about your dog. I am glad to hear, though, that he lived such a long life - and apparently without problems. Duncan is my first Berner, and I have been warned about the unfortunate lack of logevity in the breed.

As far as these last weeks are concerned, I want to share something with you. I just lost my 13 yo Great Pyrenees the Sunday after Thanksgiving. She had cancer, too, and her heart and lungs were not strong enough for surgery. I want to share about the hospice vet that my regular veterinarian recommended. She came to the house to do an initial check-up when we knew that Jazz's death was imminent. She suggested things that would help me give her meds, what to feed, gave me ideas about how to make her comfortable and, near the end, showed me how to give her iv fluids and shots of pain meds. When I was ready to euthanize Jazzie, she came over and injected her while she rested comfortably anesthetized in my arms on the sofa.

I didn't have to take Jazz to the vet's office, I didn't have to go out and try to find all the food, meds, , etc., and she was at home until the very end. Then her body was taken out and a week later I received her ashes. It was all very personal. The vet brought me everything I needed to make Jazzie comfortable, she was available 24 hours a day, and she put her to sleep on a Sunday evening, after we had spent our last weekend together.

I don't know where you are located, but if you go to Gentlejourney.com maybe they can recommend someone like that in your area.

My prayers are with you.

6. aey1604

aey1604 New Member

Hi, many thanks for your lovely reply. Really sorry to hear of your loss, you must be devestated. The hospice vet you had sounds wonderful - have never heard of anything like that in this country (I live in Scotland) though I will ask around. We are lucky though to have a good vet practice nearby and when the time comes, like you we will get the vet to come to the house rather than take our dog to the vets surgery to be put to sleep. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me, it's much appreciated. Will let you know how things go here. Thanks again.

7. Lynn

Lynn New Member

So sorry to hear of all your problems with your dogs, my sympathies I lost an aussie shepherd mix to cancer when he was 41/2 it is heartbreaking I sometimes wonder why I chose a breed with so many health problems known and the possibility of a short life, but who knows his breeder has them into their young teens, so maybe I will be lucky but however long I have Ollie it will of been a privilege to of owned him.
    (((Hugs))) to those with unwell dogs and I hope all is well with them.

8. aey1604

aey1604 New Member

Had to have our Berner put to sleep today

We sadly lost our 10 year old Bernese Mountain Dog, Brodie today. He had been diagnosed with cancer which had spread to his lungs and today he started having real problems breathing. We made the decision to have him put to sleep and got the vet to come to the house.

In the end it was all very peaceful and my husband and I were both with him at the end. We're absolutely devestated though as we've had him all our married life and he was such a special dog. We can only console ourselves knowing that he had a long and happy life and we did our best for him. I know lots of you out there will have gone through something similar so will know only too well how we feel.

9. Lynn

Lynn New Member

So sorry to hear about Brodie.
    Run free Brodie.