Hair isn't growing

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by Holdmeyer25, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Holdmeyer25

Holdmeyer25 New Member

We recently just got our second Berner. She Will be 18 weeks on Tuesday. She has such a short; almost wirey coat. It's very very short. I never had this problem with our first Berner. He was a little fluff ball the moment we got him. She had shorter hair and when we got her, but I was thinking it was she hasn't grown into her coat yet. At this age and nothing growing and her coat looking worse I am not sure what to do.
    I really like the thick beautiful coats that berners have.
    Any suggestions?

Attached is the best picture that shows her up close and you can kind of see the stage of her coat growing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. LuvmyBerner

LuvmyBerner New Member

Is she a pure berner? what did her parents coats look like? What is your vets opinion? she looks healthy but maybe a quick check-up wouldn't hurt...maybe needs a diet change. Sorry but i'm not much help.

3. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

I agree maybe diet or check with the vet.. She looks healthy as can be :):):) Do you give fish oil? IT really helps with the skin and coat. Coconut oil too is awesome.

4. Cleo

Cleo Guest

I agree the coat appears dull and thin. And the puppy looks a little on the slender side. Were the parents slender? I hope there is not a medical problem.

Cleo loves:
    scrambled eggs with cheese
    bacon
    ground beef
    rotisserie chicken
    salmon

She is almost 5 months and weighed in at the vet today as 63 pounds. I asked the vet if she was fat, and he said no.

I think we all worry about are little ones.

Big hug

-------

What Causes a Dull Coat?
    Ask most vets what causes a dull coat and they’re likely to answer “poor nutrition.” So the first thing you want to do is make sure you’re feeding your four-legged friend a healthy diet full of real meat and protein, with few if any by-products, preservatives, and grains like corn, wheat, and soy, which can cause allergies.

There are also certain medical problems that can affect a dog’s appearance, so a dull coat may be a good reason for a checkup. Parasites like tapeworms, hookworms, and roundworms can all deplete your dog of key nutrients important for coat health. Infections, fleas and ticks, thyroid problems, kidney conditions, and other health issues can also be to blame, so make sure your dog has a clean bill of health.

Natural Ways to Encourage a Shiny Coat
    Once you know that your dog is in tip-top shape, here are some other things you can do to encourage his or her coat to come out shiny and soft.

Tuna, sardines, and salmon: These are full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids that help contribute to a healthy coat, plus they’re delicious to a dog! Add some to the dog’s food.

Taken from: 7 Tips to Keep Your Dog's Coat Glossy and Shiny