Hair hair hair

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by Liza, May 12, 2011.

1. Liza

Liza New Member

Shedding right now is absolutely unbelievable.

I could brush until the cows come home and more just keeps coming and coming non- stop. I could make a set of pillows every day with just a half hour of brushing.

2. Liza

Liza New Member

Just back from tne groomer and she said gracie had hair all over the shop:p

3. mkbrownsberg

mkbrownsberg New Member

Hair!

right now our dog is shedding so much! She is 4 months and I am just wondering if this is what I have to look for for her life time or is it just cuz it is fall and she is getting her winter coat? and if it is just the winter coat coming in how long will last? thanks in advanced!

4. LuvMyBerners

LuvMyBerners New Member

I think we are all in the same boat right now with shedding. Brushing is always a good thing to do but nothing works as good as a nice bath with de-shedding shampoo and then the conditioner to follow. Next is to be sure the groomer uses a dryer on your dog and blows out all the dead loosened hair. Avoid a groomer who only uses the dryer in the cage/crate. We will be making an appointment for a spa day very soon. :)

5. mkbrownsberg

mkbrownsberg New Member

Hair!

what kind of conditioner do u use? is there dog conditioner or do u usehuman conditioner?

6. LuvMyBerners

LuvMyBerners New Member

When I bathe them at home the brand I use is Top Performance & the name of the shampoo & conditioner is Shed Patrol. It is a dog brand and I get it through Pet Edge catalog. Im sure you can get a shed shampoo in Pet Smart. The biggest help is that dryer that the groomers have. I have the K-9 III dryer, we use it for baths and also to dry them if they go in the pool. A friend of mine breeds Berners and also has a grooming shop. I can bathe them in between her grooming appointments we make, but she really has the golden touch and when she is done with them they look like they lost 20 pounds each because of all the hair she gets out.

7. mkbrownsberg

mkbrownsberg New Member

hair!

Thanks that is very helpful!

8. Noname

Noname New Member

Would a people hair dryer work ok to help remove hair? I used to use one everyday in the wet weather as my long coat GSD took hours to dry and so I used the hair dryer to help the drying process along

9. LuvMyBerners

LuvMyBerners New Member

Noname,
    A human dryer would not work at all. Check out the link I attached and you will see the dryers we use to blow water out of the coat and also the dead hair.

K-9 III Blower Dryer | PetEdge.com

10. lynn2

lynn2 New Member

Holy cow!!!!! Not exactly a dryer for the average Berner owner at over $400:eek:

I always just used a regular $25 blow dryer when I did my dog at home.

11. LuvMyBerners

LuvMyBerners New Member

I know it sounds crazy but my way of justifying it was, it costs approx $85. for one of mine to be totaly bathed and groomed. Having the dryer, de-shedding shampo & conditioner, I am able to do them myself here at home, so after a few times, it kind of paid for itself. Also, mine like to go in the pool and lake in the summer, so I can dry them with it. Drying time is about 15 minutes with it.

12. berncarol

berncarol New Member

dreygood ...if you look on some of the dog rs

hi everyone the dryers are very good for drying and cuts the time spent drying in half...I got one its a blaster i got it sent over from scotlant and it cost me 189 pound...but if you look on some dog grooming sites I'm sure they can be got cheeper over there......It was 40 pound delivery to Ireland...best money i ever spent...:)