Food

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Food Forum' started by sguth28, Jan 24, 2016.

1. will47

will47 New Member

ps - We do food transitions pretty slowly. We've been doing this one over a period of a few weeks.

2. moondoggie

moondoggie New Member

Wow! tapping out of conversation

3. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Will47,
    Sounds like you are doing everything right. This is an interesting bread. Some times in the bread anxiety can give them digestive problems. Just your leaving your pup behind can cause it. They really are a bread that loves to be with the pack. Keep with the good dog food and once the Giardia is cleared up your pup will go back to normal. We had an issue with Sierra apparently her heart guard medicine did not work. She ended up getting hockworm which is suppose to be covered with heart guard. The heart guard company paid for her treatment and replaced all our heart guard med. Said they had a bad run But she is better now funny through the whole thing she gained another pound.

4. Amber Capps

Amber Capps New Member

My husband and I will be getting our first Bernese puppy in a couple weeks. We have been researching all the different brands of food and checking out the protein content, fat content, calcium and phosphorus. We are still unsure of what we should feed our little guy. I've read That you have to be careful on what you choose because you don't want them growing too quickly as it will result in hip and elbow issues, along with some more. Being that berneses are prone to get those issues we want to avoid it as best as we can. We want to show him so we want to make sure he is getting enough nutrients without speeding up his growth. What do you guys recommend?

5. summersnowbr

Was the breeder a show breeder? If so find out what they feed their dogs and take that information to your Vet. See what the Vet thinks of the food. There are also reasons while your puppy grows that a Vet might have you change their food. Such as Sierra most foods upset her stomach that is why the Vet put her on Science Diet for the first year. It did what no other food could do and that was keep her stool hard. But then after a year and her first heat the Vet had us change to Nulo large breed food and she is doing real well on that too. Decision on what to feed a puppy is always hard but your Vet should be able to help guide you the right way.

6. Amber Capps

Amber Capps New Member

Unfortunately the breeder does not show her dogs. However, I'll find out what food the pups are currently on and take our Thor to the vet after we get him and figure everything out from there. It's a bit stressful because we want to do right by him. I love this breed and want to show them (I have never shown or competed, we are beginners at all of this) so I feel like the pressure is on to make sure everything is perfect and he lives a long healthy life.

7. summersnowbr

Well, as a tip one thing that judges do NOT LIKE is a dog that is over weight. I have seen many times a judge will through a dog out of the ring if the dog is obviously over weight. Are you planning on handling your own in the ring or hiring a handler?

8. will47

will47 New Member

We finally tried the prescription food (Hills i/d, blech) briefly and, surprisingly, it actually worked as advertised. So now we moved to a chicken-based food that is also lower fat and protein (specifically a senior diet) and now his stools seem to consistently have a much better consistency.

I know everyone always says that too much protein isn't a problem, but does anyone have any suggestions for a higher quality food (ideally chicken-based) that is a bit lower in protein and fat than the normal high quality grain free options?

9. summersnowbr

What Sierra gets is NuLo large bread Turkey and peas - grain free. She loves the food and her stools have remained hard. She has two stools cycles a day, one in the morning like clock work 7:00am, the second can be any where from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. Our Vet had us go to Nulo because she said she has found that dogs that had sensitive digestive systems did well on the adult one. This does not mean though it would work for yours but it could be a thought. Now it is expensive but worth it. Will 47 how is your boy doing. Last time I heard he was still trying to gain weight.

10. will47

will47 New Member

Thanks! Yeah, we have tried some large breed foods as well as some turkey based foods in the past without luck. I'm hoping we can try some new things once he's been stable for a while, but of course, it's no fun to deal with dog diarrhea, so we will probably wait for a while.

He's probably ~ 75 lb now @ ~ 16 mo. He had another flare-up of the giardia, and still wants to eat anything / everything in sight. I'd say he's on the skinny side still, but at least his stool has been pretty solid (knock wood).

11. Amber Capps

Amber Capps New Member

That is good to know! I'd like to hire a handler but I hear they are quite expensive.

12. summersnowbr

When I first starting showing I did my own handling. There is so much to learn, little tricks of the trade. Things you only learn in the ring. Such as some handlers will run their dog so close to yours to make yours fig-it in front of the judge. Little games handlers play. I stuck with it and did well. There are certain shows though it is best to hiring a handler. They know all the judges and know how to work the dogs to the judges liking.

13. summersnowbr

Will47
    He is putting on weight, that is good. How tall do you think he is? Is he on Heart Guard?

14. Amber Capps

Amber Capps New Member

HA! Little turds. :p I will definitely be looking into handlers now. Lol

15. egnan

egnan New Member

Would you consider feeding raw?

16. Amber Capps

Amber Capps New Member

I don't really like the idea of that. Mainly because we have other dogs in the house so we'd like to keep them as much the same as we can. We are leaning towards Blue Buffalo life protection for large breeds. It has a good calcium/phosphorus ratio and calcium/carb ratio.

17. Sienna

Sienna New Member

We use Fromm puppy large breed. The breeder used Kirkland from Costco but once home pup not interested. Our vet said Costco food was not the highest quality and she suspected breeder used it due to it being economical. I was disappointed our pup didn't like it, as I do like the price.

18. summersnowbr

I agree with your Vet. I would never feed my dog Costco food. What I've seen on their shelves is low quality food and a pup needs better then that! Fromm puppy large breed food is a 4 star food so it should be just fine for your little pup.