Ear hair trimming

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by Scherdy, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Scherdy

Scherdy New Member

Our first berner, Nova is almost 10 months and we haven't trimmed her long, whispy hairs that seem to grow right behind, below and around her ears.

We think they're great but are a little more hassle now that they are collecting more debris, and aren't her favorite areas to be brushed. They're starting to get tangled more often so is it time to clean them up somewhat?

Just wondering what those of you who have owned berners do and if you have any tips for tools or methods to do the job.

Thanks!

2. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

That hair behind the ear does get to be a mess! Riley isnt to fond of having it brushed either, but has gotten more used to, the more we do it. We try to keep it trimmed back, but even still, he occasionally gets a matted knot back there that we have to cut out with the scissors.

3. stitch413

stitch413 New Member

yah darby gets all tangled here too! I use a human hair clippers with ceramic blades and the longest guide in the box, I lift th hair on the surface and trim back the hair underneath that gets tangled... it looks a lot tidier too, but i still brush it often taking care not to pull too hard. Darby didn't like the clippers at 1st but he got used to it with some tasty treats nearby!!

4. LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle Member

Just remember to be careful and not accidentally trim the dogs actual ear!