Dull coat

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by gloria66, Dec 6, 2011.

1. gloria66

gloria66 New Member

My eleven month old boy is shedding huge amounts of hair. I've been using grooming tools to remove a lot of it. Before all the shedding his coat was black and shiny. Now it looks dull with a rusty colored tinge. Will having him bathed and groomed help his coat return to it's former luster?

2. bernese

bernese New Member

It is always tough when they lose their coats, don't worry, it will grow back and be luxurious as before. Keep brushing and groom as needed but just be patient. Some breeders/dog owners give their dog fish oil to help with the shiny coat.

3. Angel

Angel New Member

Hi there we give our 5 month old a tea spoon of yogurt with his food becuase when we got him he had dry skin and it helped to clear it up and his coat is shinny and beautiful we get lots of compiments about his coat. We use organic plain yogurt and he really likes it.

4. motomom

motomom New Member

Hi, Wonderful thing, blowing that puppy coat lol.
    A bath and some good brushing might help to pull the oil back through the hair. You might want to add some type of coat and hair suppliment ie some omega 3-6-9 oils. Katie

5. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

You may be seeing several things....first, Berners have a major coat blow at the start of winter....so that is normal.

If you are see red coat however - this is an amino acid deficiency primarily but could also be complicated by a mineral imbalance. In Berners, we see a red coat (rust tinge) often in those with a deficiency in L-Tyrosine, an amino acid largely responsible for black pigment. This is common in diets of predominantly chicken, as this meat is deficient in this. A varied diet that incudes turkey, red meats etc. are key to addressing as other meats have plenty.

Fish oils should also be added to the diet for omega 3s and ensure that any diet he is eating is providing enough zinc, iron and copper.

Many are given advice not to feed puppy kibbles to ensure growth isn't too fast and instead feed adult foods - the downside to this is adult foods are much lower in these keys minerals due to the fact that adult dogs require less than growing puppies. So if doing this, a low dose multi-vitamin will also be needed. Something like Missing Link can be added to the food.

Avoid feeding omega 6s or 9s and this is contraindicated for such dogs....stick with omega 3 oils or you will throw this balance way off (dog food is loaded with omega 6).

Good luck!

6. motomom

motomom New Member

berner rescue

Hi Berner Rescue. I have not heard that about the amega 6 &9's . do you know why these would be contraindicated? I'll have to do some research because I have been feeding mine a product that has all three. and if that is the case I will stop.
    Katie

7. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

It all depends on what the rest of the diet is - but essentially these omegas have an optimal balance in canines, just as in humans and dogs have no biological requirement for omega 9.

Omega 6s are plentiful in meat and so assuming your dog is eating a meat based diet - and particularly a "AAFCO balanced" food which should meet NRC requirements, then supplementing omega 6 could be overkill and potentially disruptive to this balance. With this said, some feed evening primrose oil and the like to address specific needs...so again it comes down to the overall diet. What I am giving you is a general rule.

The omega fatty acid that is commonly deficient in all American diets, and particularly canine diets is omega 3 UNLESS the dog is eating a predominately fish based diet. In this case, omega 6s may be needed.

Hope that helps!
    Rachel