Dew Claws & Anal Glands

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog General Discussion' started by davis, Jun 24, 2013.

1. davis

davis New Member

I'm looking for some advice:

Our vet is recommending that when he has our Penny in for her operation to be spayed that he remove her dew claws just on her back legs and also her anal glands.

She is only 4 months old and he cleaned her glands a few days ago at her appointment. He said that an awful lot came out for her being so young and we'll likely have issues in the future. He said they serve no real purpose anymore and that its ok to remove them.

He also said he'd like to remove her dew claws just on her back legs as they can get caught on things and cause her discomfort. He feels doing it all at once will be easier on her than taking her in multiple times.

Has anyone ever heard of either of theses things? What are your thoughts? We want to be sure we do the right thing for her. :confused:

thank you.

2. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

Rear dewclaws are always removed on the back legs by reputable breeders before puppies leave for their new homes. They are more dangerous in the rear than helpful and this is a standard recommended practice.

When we get a dog in rescue with his rear dew claws, this is a common sign for us that the dog came from a mill or backyard breeder.

Front dewclaws should never be removed and are useful.

As for removing anal glands, this is not common practice and seems premature. A healthy diet should keep anal glands healthy.

3. BernerMax

BernerMax New Member

A question-

BernerRescue, I am curious why are dew claw removed in some breeds but not others-- I had a lively discussion with a great pyrenees breeder at a dogshow who was of the opinion that they do no harm ( I am aware that double dew claws are part of the breed standard for Great Pyrenees)- but just would love to know this....

4. Carozo

Carozo New Member

Apparently the rear dew claws of Pyrenees are attached to the boney structure and actually used in running and changing direction. Typically in BMD and other breeds they're only connected via skin so it's not such a big deal to remove them. However - I believe they're also allowed in some of the breeds where they're not "true" boney toes, some folks are against removing even those. I guess it depends on the lifestyle of the dog the amount of risk it faces of having it catch on something. Sounds pretty uncommon but can be really painful... so for instance probably good idea to have them removed if it'll be a working dog or running in the woods a lot or whatever as a preventative measure.

5. BernerMax

BernerMax New Member

Nice Post thanx!

We actually have a new 3/4 great pyrenees puppy (1/4 anatolian) and he is sporting a fine set of double dew claws on his back ankles.... He did actually get one stuck in chicken wire last week (he snuck into our compost pile)and I had to extricate him.... Its something to think about for his neuter surgery in a couple of years...

6. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hallie still has her front and rear dew claws. Unlike most berners, her rear dewclaws have a bone and are not dangly. The vet said that they are unlikely to get caught and tear since they are boney and well attached, and it would be painful for her if we removed them. She is not a registered berner and her breeder did not remove them from her litter at birth.

My last berner was a rescue, and when we had Oakli neutered we also had his one single rear dewclaw removed as it did not have a bone and could have easily caught on something and torn off.

In my opinion it really depends on the dog and the structure of the dewclaws. You should feel confident enough in your vet to trust their opinion!

7. Jjbarker

Jjbarker New Member

I agree with the above post. I have seen other breeds with very dangly dew claws and others with more structure. My bernners dew claws were not removed by the breeder and my vet was happy to see they weren't. They are well attached and she said they really help with balance and mountain/hill climbing, and other things bernese dogs do. My dog is 2 and hasn't had any trouble with them. So again, I agree with the above post that it depends on the structure of the dewclaws.

As for the anal glands removed, I haven't heard of that procedure before so cannot comment.