Curly hair!!???

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by Holdmeyer25, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Holdmeyer25

Holdmeyer25 New Member

My Berner will be 7 months on August 1st! I have been brushing him like crazy because He is shedding. I noticed that his hair around his back side and lower back is curling so bad! Is this normal until he grows into his new coat?? I really need feed back on the best way to correct this or if it's normal to leave it. Thanks or all the help Berner lovers!

2. konabeardog

konabeardog New Member

Kona has curly fur, but it was EXTRA curly right above her butt where her tail started despite all the brushing I did. She's almost 2 years old now and it's just starting to uncurl a bit. Groomer, vet, and breeder said it was just the way her coat was. She always gets complimented on her curls so whatever! She's my first Berner and I was expecting super straight fur, but out of all the Berners I've seen they all have a bit of wave in their coat!

3. BernerRescue

BernerRescue New Member

Some Berners are curly!

Blow drying can smooth to some degree, but their coat is their coat.

Rachel

4. aleciarose

aleciarose New Member

Don't go for blow drying. It make them rough and also very harsh. Blow drying get skin irritations to some dogs also. Better don't ever try it.

5. Kyliekuchel

Kyliekuchel New Member

Ronnie is 7 1/2 months and he is very curly on the back my breeder says some do get curly but straighten out. It's cute, gives them character :)

6. Rico

Rico New Member

Curly Hair

Hi everybody!
    I was really a little worried about Rico's curly hair.
    His back looks like I had curlers in it overnight ;)

I hope this is going to grow out a little, he is only 6 months old now. But if not, then its still the best dog ever :)

I noticed that I have to watch out to cut the hair between his "toes" quite a bit. We have a hardwood floors downstairs and I would hate for him to slip and slide.