Canine Good Citizen test

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Training Forum' started by martykihn, Dec 5, 2009.

1. martykihn

martykihn New Member

About a year ago I got tired of my beloved 5 year-old Berner, Hola, jumping up on my neighbors and so thought I'd do us both a favor and train us to take the Canine Good Citizen test. It's a 10-step evaluation developed by the AKC that some dogs can do easily ... one year of daily training later, we're about ready to try it. I'm wondering if anybody else has taken their Berner through the CGC and how they prepared? Hola's hardest item turns out to be #10 - Supervised Separation - I leave her with a stranger for 3 minutes and go out of sight, during which time she whines and barks (not allowed). This is a tough one to train out of - any ideas welcomed. It's a great test, but definitely harder than it looks ...

2. Lucky-Liz

Lucky-Liz New Member

I think the Canine Good Citizen is an amazing feat for any dog to achieve. I read your post with great interest, and am going to make it my mission to get both our dogs certified in the next 12 months. One dog at a time! The younger Berner, now nearly 2, is quite shy-agressive, so I've got my work cut out for me, but your post has inspired me to work at it. I just have to be consistent at doing the training with each dog individually! They are such good pals, and we have a busy life (doesn't everyone these days?) that I am not always very good at training them on their own, which is what they need, especially the younger one.
    Good luck with your Berner getting his designation!

3. martykihn

martykihn New Member

CGC test

Hola and I took the CGC yesterday and passed! We finished up just a few minutes before the Blizzard of '09 came into White Plains, NY, where we were taking the test. I was very proud of her - especially since this is a girl who was "invited" to repeat her Family Manners skills class twice. She did a very strong stay and her loose leash walking was great. Our Family Manners teacher came up to us afterwards (she was watching) and said, "You guys really worked hard for that piece of paper." That's an understatement. But it's worth it: she's gone from earning complaints to getting praised by our neighbors. I recommend the Canine Good Citizen to anyone with an unruly dog, since it gives you a clear goal and guidelines. :)

4. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

Congrats to Hola and to you! :)

5. Mycoopah

Mycoopah New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was really interested when I saw your post! Did you and Hola take your test at a Petsmart or Petco?

6. martykihn

martykihn New Member

Actually we took a 7-week class and the test was the last day. It's a good way to prepare for the test, since the dog is used to the venue and the exercises (though not the actual evaluator). It was at the Port Chester Obedience Training Club in White Plains, NY, which has a lot of different classes from pet-training to advanced competitive stuff. Although apparently some dogs find the CGC pretty easy, we had to do a LOT of preparation - she loved to jump up on everyone, and had trouble with the three-minute supervised separation.

7. Mycoopah

Mycoopah New Member

I lived in Scarsdale NY my whole life, they have such great things to do in Westchester county. Here in Rhode Island I can tKe the classes at Petsmart and there are certain days in which the test is administered! I'm going to sign up after the holidays with Cooper. He's really good just a bit stubborn, lol! Thanks for the info!