Brushing after very extensive bath - 16 weeks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EnzoTheBMD, Aug 10, 2016.

1. EnzoTheBMD

EnzoTheBMD New Member

I know Berners are shedders but I have a question. We gave him probably the first very extensive bath. Shampooed and rinsed extremely through... As he was dried we started brushing him. A TON of hair came off of him. It honestly looks like dead hair no clumps are coming out but as we continue to brush it just keeps coming out.

Is he just losing his puppy coat and I'm being over cautious about my Berner? He looks extremely beautiful by the way. Also when you're brushing Berners do they ever give you a hard time about brushing by their hind legs? He's never favored it as to could be a problem. It's just the spot that most the dead hair is coming from and I want to take care of it.

2. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the world of Berners ! lol There is nothing to be worried about. They "blow" their coats twice a year. Plus ( in our case anyway ) shed ALL year long. We could brush Emma for days at a time and fur will continue to come out. As long as you don't see any bad spots, he is good !:)

3. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

I'm collecting our Berner's fur, I spin wool so why not Berner fur. Hope to one day have enough to make a sweater! Maybe you should check with your local spinning guild to see if they want his fur.:D
    As long as there is no patches of skin showing through your Berner is all right. Not knowing what your temperatures are, ours has been 90 - 100 degrees since May. Our Berner sheds a lot but you really can't tell.

4. EnzoTheBMD

EnzoTheBMD New Member

Yeah he has no clumps at all... He's super healthy! As I wrote the first post I noticed I am being nuts. His fur is the most beautiful it's every been. I think I am just being an overprotective Berner dad...

Thanks for the heads up guys!

5. Hank

Hank New Member

Better get used to it. My handsome man is almost 5 years old and leaves a horrible fur mess in the bathroom after every bath. No matter how many times I brush him after there is always some fur that still comes out :)

6. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

I vacuumed this morning so I could scrub the tile and by this afternoon it looks like I need to vacuum again. This happens all the time. Getting closer to having the had spun Bernese yarn for the sweater.