Brush?

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog Grooming Forum' started by Liza, May 12, 2011.

1. Liza

Liza New Member

I was wondering which brush most of you all use on your berners.

I am not hip to brush lingo but i use a rbbermaid brush with an oval head and wire pins that have a bend in them.
    It hurts like heck if i run it down my own arm but my girls don't seem to mind it. It sure removes a LOT of hair

2. gypsyberner

gypsyberner New Member

furminator

i recently purchased the "furminator" brush; long hair, giant dog model. ive never seen so much hair!! well worth the exta money. best brush ever used. hair was very good looking after use, and he seemed way cooler. highly recommend!!!

3. bernermom

bernermom Administrator Staff Member

We have the furminator too! It is awesome:) I swear by it and tell people all the time they need to get one if they have a dog with lots of fur. Nothing beats it.

4. sa1821

sa1821 New Member

furminator and a rake work well for us!

5. Sylvia13

Sylvia13 New Member

Deciding on the best products to groom your dog is a issue of experience as you find a product that performs well for you and that doesn't annoy your canine's skin. Some household pets have more delicate layers and skins than others, so be sure to concentrate on how your dog acts after a bath.

6. G's Mom

G's Mom New Member

I use a slicker brush on his legs, head, and ears; a straight-pin brush on the rest of his body, and a rake occasionally. The type of pin brush is very important- do not get one with the ball-tipped pins! They don't really get through the coat, and are therefore difficult to use. I buy my pin brushes online, but the description must specify that the brush has straight or smooth pins. Once you try one of these you'll see how well they work. Good luck!

7. libernerlove

libernerlove New Member

I (my Berner) love our double brush. Pin brush on one side of the head, flip it over and there is a bristle brush on the other side.

8. lovedigby

lovedigby New Member

We have a "Furminator" too! :)

9. hudkj

hudkj New Member

What kind of brush do you use on a berner puppy? I would think their skin is more sensitive and their coat is quite different when they are a puppy. I would like a suggestion on a specific brush someone uses or used for their puppy under a year old. Thanks!

10. libernerlove

libernerlove New Member

I recommend a combo bristle/pin brush. It is 1 handle with a different head on each side. Only about $9. My 5 month old loves it. Get a giant/long hair Furnanator for after the shedding begins.

11. hudkj

hudkj New Member

Thank you for your quick reply! I will get a combo brush for now. I had bought the shedzilla for later. I will see if it works well and if not I will try the furmanator!

12. SJTT

SJTT Member

I have both a furminator and a rake. But, getting our Bonney to stand still and not "fight" me is an issue. All is well if I brush her belly but anywhere else - especially her tail - and I'm wrestling with an 80 lb. 13 month old puppy. I really don't know how to get her to chill out for a brushing.