Bernese Mountaing Dog Puppy Growth Chart

Discussion in 'First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions' started by Juliet, Sep 4, 2012.

1. will47

will47 New Member

We're in California.

Round 2 (including as deep a cleaning as we could do inside) failed, we're now doing 7 days of ronidazole. His diarrhea got worse after we stopped the metronidazole. So now, in addition to the antibiotics, we're giving him chicken and rice instead of kibble, along with some diatomaceous earth, and new (different) probiotic powder. His poops are more solid now, but still worried that we won't clear it this round either. A lot of people say that they can learn to tolerate it (even while remaining a carrier), but my friend has a golden who has struggled with giardia and stomach problems since he was a puppy, and he's now 1 and a half.

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

I was reading an article the other day about how giardia is becoming drug resistant. I hope round two works! How is everything else with him. I'm sure he does some incredible things they all seem too! Are you doing any obedience training? Sierra just passed intermediate and will be doing advance obedience in August.
    We live in AZ.

3. summersnowbr

Hey evveryone

My husband decided that it would be fun to see what everyone's Berner measurements are. So he measured Sierra, who is 37 weeks old. Her butt area is 10 inches wide side to side, her chest is 9 inches side to side and shoulders are 9 inches side to side. She is about 60-62 inches tip of tail to nose. 32 inches around the chest. And is 26 inches tall. So what is your Berner measurements.

4. toan365

toan365 New Member

Thanks for the reply. 24 inches in tall-perfect! I didn’t track Juliet’s height, but I realized that she has not grown in height ever since she was 6 months. So I decided to measure her to see if she is on the track. It is difficult to measure the height of a dog, though. It should be measured from the floor to the withers. I use a measuring tape. Get your puppy stand and make sure that her head is neither pointed up or down, but level. Try to feel a bone on the top that is the withers. Then, measure her from ground to the top of her withers.
    "Teefury , Redbubble uk , Spreadshirt us , tshirthell coupon , threadless coupon , Teespring us , Teepublic coupon code , 80stees coupon"

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  5. summersnowbr

Will47,
    How is you Berner boy doing?

6. will47

will47 New Member

I think he's ~ 65 lb now at ~ 11 mos?
    Good news is that the last couple fecal tests have been clean, and his stomach is usually Ok as long as he's eating only his kibble. If he manages to eat whatever he can get his mouth on when he's at the dogsitters or when we're on walks, still sometimes has loose stool.

7. summersnowbr

Sounds like he is doing well now. That is great. It seems like this breed loves to eat anything they can get their months on. The "drop it" and "Leave it" command is very important for them to know!!! When Sierra visits other dogs we have to watch out if they leave their dog food out, because Sierra will eat theirs if she gets the chance. Then she pays for it the next day. You would think they would learn after a while but they don't on this subject!!

8. will47

will47 New Member

Ugh, his last fecal was not clean again, and his stomach has been having problems. He's 70 lbs now. We're going to try out changing food again, to see if there's something that's easier on his stomach, since typically dogs will be able to handle the giardia by 1 year, even if they don't clear it.

9. summersnowbr

What are you feeding him now and what are you thinking of switching too?

10. will47

will47 New Member

11. summersnowbr

Hope all is going well. Keep with the good dog food. We had Sierra on lamb and rice for her first year. Now she eats NuLo Salmon adult dog food. She is doing well on that.