Advice for overnight potty training regression at 8 months?

Discussion in 'First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions' started by Laura, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Hello all,

I’m a new member and first time poster here. My husband and I are first time dog parents and got our Berner puppy last September. He's now 8 months old and we’re experiencing some regression with him holding his bladder overnight.

He used to be crated overnight in the kitchen and slept till 5 am without needing to go out. He didn’t have any accidents unless he had an upset tummy. 2 weeks ago we started letting him sleep wherever he wanted in the kitchen, since then he wakes up and starts barking at 3:30 to 4 am without fail. We’ve tried ignoring his barking until 5 am but that has been ineffective and he has usually peed by the time we come to get him. We would really appreciate any words of advice on how to handle this.

Thanks so much!

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Well, When do you remove his water bowl at night so that he doesn't have any more water? Also, when is his late time outside to relieve him self? And have you noticed if he pees more then usual during the day?

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Thanks for reading! His water bowl is removed at 8 pm. He doesn't go to bed before 9:30 pm and his late pee is just before that so 9:20 pm or later. He's good at holding it during the day, only asks to go out about once every 6 hours or so.

4. summersnowbr

Is he fixed or not? If he doesn't seem to be needing to urinate more during the day one would think a Urinating track infection is not the problem. We gave Sierra more room about the same age your are trying but it was only twice the size of the crate. One thing dogs do not like to do is urinate where they sleep. She did not get the run of the house until she was 1 year old, but every dog is different.

5. Laura

Laura New Member

He's not fixed yet, we're planning to do that after his first birthday. I get the feeling he doesn't think of the entire kitchen as his den yet but unfortunately we can't partition off a smaller area. We're experimenting with putting his feeder where he's been peeing, of course after thoroughly treating the area with an enzyme to remove all traces of smell. Let's see how that goes.

6. summersnowbr

Is it a lot of pee or a little curios if he is marking his territory. It is good that you plan to fix him after a year. There is some health benefits for waiting until after a year. We did Sierra at 14 months 3 months after her first heat. You could put kitchen tables chairs around to shorten the area. I had to do that when we had tile work done in the living room didn't have enough dog gates to keep Sierra away from licking the workers to death!

7. Amy H

Amy H New Member

Why is it better to wait until after a year old? Is that true for males also?

8. Amy H

Amy H New Member

@summersnowbr is that true for males also? Waiting to neuter/spay til after 1 yr or 1st heat?

9. summersnowbr

Yes, there are certain cancers that waiting for after one year the dogs hormones will fight them. They are seeing more cancers in dogs under 1 year that normally got them in their senior years when they were fixed under a year. So IF you can wait until they are over a year then you should.