A Question about food - 6 month old pup.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daniel, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Daniel

Daniel New Member

So at around 4 months, I had to change my boys diet due to him not liking a food previously bout which was Nutro-grain I believe. He would not eat it unless extremely hungry. So I switched him to Science Diet Large Breed Puppy, which he absolutely loved.

However, his stools are incredibly soft, and he goes quite often. Granted I understand he eats a lot and is still a puppy so that doesn't bother me, but I don't believe his stools should be so soft.

Is this indicative of his sensitive stomache? I've also been reading that around 6 months most of the owners on this site have been switching to adult food for this very reason.

I'm just curious if I should start shopping online for non-major chained dry food.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! This if my first Bernese and I would like him to stay as comfortable as possible.

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Daniel,
    I would not switch to adult food until you have either fixed him or he has matured. Have you had a stool sample done on you pup? At six months his stool should be hard. Science Diet lamb and rice is a good dog food for sensitive stomach dogs. Normally by one year the food issues subside.

Daniel likes this.
  3. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Thank you for the reply, I will try that out and see if it changes.
    His current Science Diet is Chicken Meal & Oats. Hopefully i'll see positive changes.