8 month old not eating much

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by tCm, Mar 15, 2017.

1. tCm

tCm New Member

First time dog/Berner owner. My pup is maybe 65lbs at 8 months. She is very much a grazer when it comes to food. Mornings she rarely ever eats and then majority of the time she'll wait to eat until 7:30pm. She gets a mixture of Origin/Venus (breeder recommended). We try adding broth, eggs, rice, and chicken (different times) and she'll still only graze. She likes her interactive feeders but still grazes.

Currently going to the vet today because of diarrhea for the last week, still drinks water. She loves to animal deer and rabbit poop. She hunts for the stuff and we try to stay away from the typical areas and she's on leash but it calls to her.

What can I do to try to get her to eat more and stop eating animal poop?

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Here is a web site on poop eating.
    http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/why-dogs-eat-poop/
    Out of your list of things you are feeding your dog I would say IF her diarrhea is food caused it is the broth that is causing it. Foods items high in fat will cause diarrhea. Also, when our Berner was under a year chicken would cause her to have diarrhea. That problem went away after she turned a year. But if she is eating animal poop my worry would be she has a parasite which would cause diarrhea and lack of desire to eat. Also, parasites can cause dogs to eat poop. So I think your doing the right thing and going to the Vet, take a stool sample with you and have it tested.

3. tCm

tCm New Member

Thank you! I truly appreciate the feedback :) She tested positive for Giardia :( poor girl. Going to stay clear from the dog park for a little while.

4. summersnowbr

We don't take Sierra to the dog parks, the dogs that go there are known for having a high odds of coming down with some sort of Parasite. I'm glad you took her to the Vet catching it early makes it easier to get rid of.

5. tCm

tCm New Member

I unfortunately don't have enough of a yard for her to run around in to burn off energy and it is now baseball season so the enclosed field is no longer okay (she loves to dig lol). They gave her a probiotic and decided against meds and then she vomitted yesterday. She seems better now. Only gave broth/water mixture for 12 hours. So we will see. Little lady doesn't act like she feels bad which makes it look like she was fine when we went to the vet. Going to call them tomorrow!

6. summersnowbr

I'm glad they figured out what was wrong. I understand that some times there is now way to escape the dog parks. We are fortunate that we have a huge field close to our house for Sierra to play in. Just keep an eye on the her at the park.

7. Berner love

Berner love New Member

8. Berner love

Berner love New Member

For sure a visit to the vet my 3mo old got a diarrhea spell had a fecal test done no parasites but vet and groomer recommended a probiotic to help with what was most likely stress from new environment or eating something not agreeable in the backyard. Probiotic could hurt and can settle an upset tummy.