10 week old puppy nipping at face

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Maee4ever, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Maee4ever

Maee4ever New Member

Our 10 week old Berner is nipping and barking at all the members of our family. Any suggestions?

2. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

How long has your Berner been with you? Also, is your Berner a male or female?

Try the below.

If he snaps or growls at you or your family, then you need to get hold of him and tell him "NO" very firmly. But be calm, and keep your voice low, if you raise your voice or your emotional level, it will only 'wind him up' more. I would keep a favorite chew toy near by and offer him that as an alternative (distraction) for him and when he chews on that say "good boy". I also found that when ours was young if she nipped my hand I would scream in pain (even if it didn't hurt) she would stop, look sad that she hurt me and then lick my hand, then I would tell her "good girl". You must show him that nipping is not allowed so that he doesn't grow up thinking that this behavior is okay.

3. Maee4ever

Maee4ever New Member

4. Maee4ever

Maee4ever New Member

He is a male....
    we have tried grabbing him and telling him no. He mostly does it to me since I'm home with him mostly.
    He growls at me and nips at my face and even humps. I grab him and tell him no. He likes me and goes away. I just want it to stop. I hope puppy classes will help. Thanks for the advice.

5. summersnowbr

summersnowbr Active Member

Absolutely, puppy classes will help but don't stop just with the puppy classes do the other older obedience classes too you will see you puppy transform right in front of you. In the good way!!!!

6. Maee4ever

Maee4ever New Member

7. Maee4ever

Maee4ever New Member

Thanks sooo much for your help.